New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jerky Recipe
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
I am looking for a new recipe and mild spice for venison,pork and beef, sweet tasting. I know there is some Mountain man/woman campfire chefs out there.

Posts: 17 | Registered: 03 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
First off do not use pork or bear for jerky, its too fatty. You need lean meat.
Second, what do you mean by sweet?

Personly I wouldn't use any modern jerky spice rub because it isn't historically correct. I just use a little salt, if even that on my jerky, its more versital, and can be added to soup.

But you could use steak sauce or teriaki sauce. There are also comerial jerky rubs you can buy or you can make your own rub by mixing herbs and spices.

Scarhand

Posts: 226 | Location: Fort Hall, ID | Registered: 11 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Plus if you aren't using nitrates or nitrites, you could pick up a nasty parasite from the pork or bear.

If you want "sweet" tasting you may be in the market for a "sugar cure" and will make sorta strips of ham, not jerkey. Still good.

Otherwise as Scarhand says, some salt, but you want sea salt for better flavor (imho) and no iodine in it, plus a little black pepper if sea salt is too plain.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I also stick to a recipe that is period correct. I use salt, a little sugar, and hot pepper flakes. The hot pepper flakes are optional. You also have the choice of dry rubs and wet marinades. I use a dry rub currently. You can certainly search online and find my different types of recipes. Pick one that appeals to you and try it. I adjust seasonings after the first time I try a new one to get it to where I like it.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post