New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Coffee?
 Login/Join

<mtnmike>
posted
Not to rob Deercop of his thread Frowner But you trekkers,,who has the best coffee for the trail?
I truly despise instant coffee.

Mike

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Ha. Folger's Instant is the only I do like. With a little cream and a spoon full of honey. Wink

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
mtnmike,
If you can get your coffee custom ground, get it ground expreso. The finer the grind the less grounds will float after boiling and putting a cup of cold water over the grounds when done boiling. Larger grains float, no matter what.
León hombre del Bosque

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
So I don't like coffee but a friend of mine that I've made several camps with likes his coffee and he has a reputation around for having good coffee, he's a real good cook too so he's great to make camp with.
Anyway here is how he makes his. So first off he buys green, or uncooked, coffee beans. When he gets out to camp he puts the desired amount of beans into a a frying pan, no grease, and roasts them to his desired darkness. After this he dumps the beans into a leather bag and proceeds to smash them with the back end of his tomahawk. Then to finish it off he pours it into the pot to boil.
Like I said I don't like coffee so I haven't tried it but those who do drink his brew say it's good. Oh and another key that he told me is to pour slowly or else you'll be eating your coffee Smiler

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deercop
posted Hide Post
If I have time to plan, I'll order a bag of Arbuckle's. It's a strong coffee, but it's the real deal cowboy coffee.
Otherwise, I'll run by Cost+ and pick up a bag of moka java. It's probably the oldest blend around. I use the "pouch & pommel" grinding method too! ;-)
About 2 tablespoons/ cup added to boiling water.

Arbuckle's was the first packaged roasted coffee. He discovered a way to prepare the roasted beans so they would keep. Little late for our period though. I think it came out in 1860's.

Posts: 649 | Location: Clovis, New Mexico | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Best pre-ground coffee in my opinion is Kirkland Colombian. Roasting green beans in a pan is part of the primitive experience for many.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I don't drink coffee myself, but my lovely wife (Squirrel Lady) is deeply addicted. Her favorite coffee is some that is ready to drink when she gets up!

Part Man, Part Critter
Born under the watch of the Great Spirit

Posts: 71 | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
I love my coffee, I surely do! But just like in business and real estate, it's location, location, location! Even the worst coffee tastes dang good sittin' around a campfire in the mountains or the woods!

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I'm with you Turkey Creek! These days it takes a good jolt or two of good hot java to get my tired old bone's started in the morning! I know that my 40 year old Stanley thermos is a far cry from anything out of the 18-19th century PC era, but all wrapped up in an old beaver pelt, it gets little notice.

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I remember when I was a lad and well before I ever drank much coffee, my grandma brewed it in one of those old two stage percolator's atop the kitchen stove. She would always place crushed egg shells in with the coffee grounds in the top basket. Said it took the "bitter bite" out of the black brew.

Booshway
Picture of Deercop
posted Hide Post
My dad and granddad were both old Navy men. Both swore that putting a pinch of salt in the grounds would take away bitterness.

Posts: 649 | Location: Clovis, New Mexico | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
best coffee I can ever remember having was in Viet Nam, Republic of. We'd go into Buon Ho village and get a cup of coffee, which would be served in these little demitase cups but only about half full. They'd bring out a can of French made evaporated milk that was about half sugar and you'd have to fill the remainder of the cup with the stuff or the strength of the coffee would flat pick you up and put your a** back down again, and none too gently. Done with the sugar, it wasn't that bad.

At my camp at shoots is a four cup percolator that had seen better days in about 1957. I put some grounds in, put 'er on the fire or stove and just hope for the best while she boils. I haven't seen the best yet out of it... the most drinkable I've made is barely tolerable, but I'm still young (ain't hit 70 yet) and first shoot's coming up Memorial Day weekend. There is still hope. Where the heck is that French stuff when you really need it?

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Hey Deercop, my brother is a retired Navy Chief Petty Officer who has always joked with me about always having a large coffee mug in his hand. Says it has been there so long that to put it down would knock off his equilibrium! I asked him how did he ever get any work done with just one available hand? Said that once he sewed on his chief stripe, all he had to do was put other's to work and walk around making sure it got done right.