New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doves
 Login/Join

Hivernant
posted
Got few doves,and wanted to share a recipe I ran across while living in Texas. Going to Sweetwater for dove to kick off the hunting season became a kind of tradition. All you need is bacon,pickled jalapenos,block of your favorite cheese, and doves,quail,or woodcock,etc.. Par boil the breasts for a minute or two,just long enough to where it will pull off the bones easily. Take a breast half,place a slice of pickled jalapeno oon it,a hunk of cheese,add another breast half,and wrap with a piece of bacon. Grill it on an open fire, and you have a meal fit for a king!

Posts: 101 | Location: Davidsville , PA | Registered: 10 August 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Sounds good! Congrats on the doves!

Experience is the best teacher, hunger good sauce.
Osborne Russell Journal of a Trapper

Posts: 212 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 17 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I think there are white wings in west Texas. Do they taste the same as mourning doves?
I just drove through Texas back and forth. That's 875 miles and then 875 miles plus a swing through Galveston. BOY that's a lot of Texas.
In any event around Ft. Stockton I had enough time to drive around one afternoon on the back roads. I wanted to see roadrunners (and did- lots) but the doves and quail were all over the place. Plus cottontails. Lots of small game.

Posts: 54 | Registered: 14 November 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Dove season will open here in east Tenasi on Sept. 1st. I'm looking forward to it.

I did plenty of dove hunting years ago when I lived out in Arizona. Both mourning and white-wings out there.
I could not tell the difference when eating them.

In regards to roadrunners; this little tale about three nimrods from California used to be told around the dusty desert towns of Wellton, and Tacna in southwest Arizona.
It seems that these three nimrods from L.A. came over to Arizona to partake of some desert quail hunting. They parked their motorhome in the desert near Tacna and proceed to spend a week hunting the birds.
At the end of their time they pulled the motorhome into a gas station in Tacna. There, they did some bragging on the great hunting and all the quail they had taken.
Proceeding on across the dusty street to a little cafe, they continued to brag about their great quail hunting prowess.
Some of the locals, annoyed by the city-slicker's braggadocio, called them out on it.
Out to the motorhome they all marched, where the three nimrods produced a large ice chest that they claimed was chock-full of quail.
However, when it was opened the locals howled in laughter.
The California city-slickers had spent a week filling the cooler with roadrunners!

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
White wings are found there also. As well as Eurasian doves. No limit on the Eurasian doves.
I have only killed a few of the white wings, but they are there. Didn't get to go this year. Bummer!

Posts: 101 | Location: Davidsville , PA | Registered: 10 August 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
we have Eurasians here in the PNW also,got to squint and look hard to tell the difference from Mourning Doves....First roadrunner I ever saw was south of Hollister,Ca.Almost hit it on my motorcycle...not exactly in the City,but they appear to be widespread.I imagine they're kinda tough.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Lol, I have never seen them, other than the morning cartoons (and tough they were!).
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Saw road runners in Texas when I lived there.