New
Find
Notify
Tools

transporting foods
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Remember now "There's no such thing as a stupid question" (till now lol) How did they keep rice and corn and flour and such from getting damp. Wrap in oilcloth maybe? Don't recall seeing any 'period correct' Tupperware

Big things I get .. It's those little things !

Posts: 49 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 22 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Barrels for large amounts.

It didn't always work. And whole wheat with the germ left in when milled will spoil on its own in some cases. There are lots of records of "stores" such as "military stores" when opened they found the contents spoiled beyond use.

For the average lone person, a leather pouch or a gourd, or even canvas under many layers to try and keep the moisture out.

Rice was not thought to be people food in every colony. Some considered it only for hogs or slaves. Karob and Okra too.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post
A simple cloth bag, and if it does get damp, just dry it out......

If I remember correctly, there is an account in Sons of a Trackless Forest about just such an occurance, Boat got dumped and they spent a few days on the banks of the river drying out their gear and food stuffs.....

Posts: 150 | Location: Right where Im standing | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
OK well I guess that's true.. If ya dried it once you can do it again. I had read somewhere of rice being used but that could have been a lot later. Being new to this i gotta pay more attention to the eras I'm readin' about. Gonna have to find me a book on such things and read up.

Posts: 49 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 22 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Montour
posted Hide Post
One thing they didnt have to worry about was getting home in time to pull out the canvas so it wont mold in the truck while they were at work on monday Wink

Posts: 150 | Location: Right where Im standing | Registered: 07 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Smokepole,

No not a stupid question at all, most folks today would just think "well if it can't be seen then ziploc's work for me"

Am I right in thinking that you were asking about a person carrying his food and not for stores on ships or transport by caravan? If so, just like moc's, nothing is PC waterproof. I pack my dry goods in small bags made of fabrics like muslin, fustin and such. They can breath. Bring only enough that you will use it up. I pack what I can into my camp kettle and everything is wrapped up in my oilcloth. Put stores tucked away at night, high n dry, and out of the snow. Yes, I have had wet stores from time to time. I have used many dry goods for over long periods of time, complete with bugs.

Posts: 350 | Location: Whitewater, CO. | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas.. I don't do any organized events..just like to go out on my own at times but still wanna do it right. It's all about that feelin' ya get inside at the end of the day when ya know ya did it right.

Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure about the dating of waxed paper--probably not PC, but lots closer than plastic. Oil cloth is probably the way to go. Just don't use 10W30 for the oil!

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Painted canvas is period correct, at least for knapsacks, etc. The later 18th century and on. I have a Abenaki food bag around here somewhere that I could post pics of. The local Abenaki and Norridgewalk tribes grazed as they walked. So dug roots, berries, etc. would constantly be gathered.

Pease

Posts: 238 | Registered: 08 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Other than dry goods stored in muslin bags and packed in your kettle, you're only other option would be to get a good book on edible plants, and identify the ones in your area. Its a free grocery store.

Scarhand

Posts: 226 | Location: Fort Hall, ID | Registered: 11 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I coated a piece of linen with bees wax and put a draw string in the top. It seems to work well and being in the northwest damp is a consistent thing.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I watched a video on a bees wax and linseed oil waterproofing but was leary of the oil imparting a taste. little more research I guess ..might give the wax a try

Booshway
Picture of Sage Rider
posted Hide Post
I waterproof small items i.e. knapsacks, food sacks etc with beeswax and it has worked great for me. I just make sure the material is very warm before applying the beeswax so it will soak into the material better(leave it out in the sun on a warm day). I have had linseed oil deteriorate the cloth be it canvas or whatever, over a period of time. So I don't use it anymore. The beeswax on my "knapsack" has been on there for 3 years now without needing a refresher!!!

"Don't Retreat, just reload"

Posts: 411 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick:
I'm not sure about the dating of waxed paper--probably not PC, but lots closer than plastic.
Dick

According to Wikipedia: The practice of oiling parchment or paper in order to make it semi-translucent or moisture-proof goes back at least to medieval times. Paper impregnated or coated with purified beeswax was widely used throughout the 19th century to retain or exclude moisture, or to wrap odorous products. Gustave Le Gray introduced the use of waxed paper for photographic negatives in 1851.

"Any day you wake up on the right side of the dirt is a good day"

Posts: 428 | Location: Northwestern California | Registered: 05 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I would imagine that gut or boiled intestine would work. Been used by many cultures over time.

anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

Posts: 126 | Location: Demokratik Republik of Washington | Registered: 29 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
We all have to rember that they did make glas bottles, and in many sizes , even wide mouth ones. but for a time and if he was on foot the extra weight would be to much. small leather bags well greased with a second bag of cloth. would be used. according to Ruxton 1846 this was a common way to carry stores. the complexity of stores carried was up to the indivdual. many just carried the bare essentials which would include salt and other seasoning dried red peppers were common as well. dried beans,corn, peas and they had a soup mix that was of the type used by Lewis&Clark on the
corp of Discorvery. I think we all consider the 1750 to 1850 a lot more primitive than they really were. just my own thoughts. always open for a debate. Sole Bear

Posts: 8 | Location: preston,Idaho | Registered: 30 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post