New
Find
Notify
Tools

Greens a different way
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
I saw this on Bizarre Food, they called them turnip green pop-ups, never heard of it before but had to give it a try. The real name for them is "rabe", I couldn't find any reference to "pop-ups" on the net, turns out their proper name is greens rabe.

Pick the flowering tops of your greens (turnip, kale or collards) in the spring, saute they with butter and minced garlic and a little salt and pepper. Put a couple tablespoons of water in the pan and cover to steam for 5 minutes or so after they wilt down.

The taste like a cross between greens, broccoli and brussel sprouts, might good if you love greens.

In the garden;

Just picked;

In the pan;

On the plate with deer heart and other stuff, I put a sprinkle of parmesan cheese on them;

Posts: 47 | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Nothing you have said would induce me to eat that. The rst of the plate looks good.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Lamb's quarters, plantain, dandy-lion, water cress, polk salad, ramps - just weeds, but I have tried them all, boiled, sauteed in butter or bacon grease, mixed with scrambled eggs, and also raw in salads. mmmm.

Like the old song says: "A country boy will survive".

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Little butter and vinegar great eating.. Broccoli that has gone to tops, try it ..

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I make pickled jalapenos which are really good good on greens. Around here we call it "pepper sauce" as in "do you need some pepper sauce for your greens?"

Rancosas, you mentioned ramps, I was raised in east Tennessee but never saw them. I was turkey hunting last weekend and noticed the hillsides were covered up with them where I hunt just across the Al/Tn line in south central Tn.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
The annual Polk Co. (TN) Ramp Tramp is coming up near the end of this month. Ramps in scrambled eggs with bacon and corn bread! Blue grass bands, vendors selling rustic homemade stuff. Great fun!

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
My hat is off to you good ole boys. I am outnumbered here. Would a country boy survive if he had no bacon grease or hawg lard? I was forced to try dandelion and hard boiled egg gravy as a child. It did not convert me. I gathered watercress for my mom but could not figure out what the fuss was about. Tomato and onion sandwich with spicy mustard now, I can enjoy that. Of course, here in ole México we have all manner of chilis. They prepare and serve it in many ways, all good, many scrumptious. I can act like a native, spoon chili salsa (roasted and crushed in a hot mulcahete, mortar and pestal) on a corn tortilla, roll it up, and munch on it. Thank the Lord for Omniprezol!

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
greens rabe

Every one has different taste buds, I have two friends who would rather graze grass in the yard than eat any garden greens. They say greens don't taste like food to them no matter how they are cooked.

I once had incredible senses of hearing, eyesight, smell and taste. The hearing went the way of the factory environment I worked in, the eyesight drifted off with old age but I still have the enhanced senses of taste and smell. I can taste complex flavors in almost any cooked dish so these greens are cornucopia of delightful tastes to me.