New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vegetable Reminder
 Login/Join

Factor
posted
Well with Daylight Savings Time having come, and Easter is on the way soon, I just thought I remind folks to start thinking about their garden, IF you like to supplement your camp cooking with stuff that you grow...(see how I tied this thread in with the topic area? Big Grin)

I'm thinking of trying some purple salsify aka "oyster plants", as they are a root crop and have purple flowers... might be able to sneak them into the front flower garden too. Draken made a post about them (thanks!) and they sound tasty!

I will also plant some cayenne peppers, and might try some Thai ornamental peppers. plus I will be looking for some scurvy grass as that was popular to prevent scurvy and it looks like a nice ground cover, and some pennyroyal as I'd like to make some DIY "bug dope", and it too should look good in a flower garden.

I will do 'maters and string beans..., I will try an heirloom tomater..., probably from seeds. I have had good success by inverting a translucent storage container outside in my back yard, and placing soil filled fiber cups on the lid on the ground, planting seeds, then coving the lid with the sorta-clear plastic bin to form a makeshift green house... I put a brick or two on top in case of wind. Works pretty well.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
What is scurvy grass? Where do you get it and how is it fixed? We'll be starting seeds right away, my wife has been wearing out the seed catalogs. I went to Champoeg State Park in Oregon last fall, an old Hudson's Bay site, and also where Robert Newell settled, and they have a old time kitchen garden there with heirloom plants. Decided to raise some of the heirlooms myself.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
I'm going to go back to Roma tomatoes this year. I had been raising Ace 55's but they take to long to mature around here. The rest of the veggies I raise are heirlooms and I've been gathering seed from them for several years now. We don't buy any veggies as we can and freeze enough to last all year.

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Scurvy Grass is a type of Cochlearia, a creeping herb, that is apparently full of vitamin C, so it was used to keep away the scurvy. MGS (Magic Garden Seeds) is one source for them.

LD

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Thanks L D.

Factor
posted Hide Post
We're starting seeds now,as many as we can of heirloom varieties.Still looking for the magic combination of varieties that will grow,and produce in our High Desert climate....gonna do kale,favas,potatoes,onions,garlic....stuff that is pretty hardy....Prolly try tomatoes again too,I keep hoping we'll find a variety of tomatoes that can survive,and produce fruit in our area....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I can't do fava beans..., I saw Anthony Hopkins play Hannibal Lechter, tell somebody he ate a dude's liver with some "fava beans and a nice chianti". Eeker

LD

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
So did 'Liver eatin' Johnson", 'cept he skipped the fava beans and wine. Big Grin

It's not the first time, I've protected my hair, in just such a manner.

Posts: 44 | Location: Independence, MO. | Registered: 28 September 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Skippedthe cookin' too, I believe.
quote:
Originally posted by Del Gue:
So did 'Liver eatin' Johnson", 'cept he skipped the fava beans and wine. Big Grin

Factor
posted Hide Post
Most folks don't prepare favas right,they're delicious if fixed right.

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
I've been tilling up the 3 garden beds to get the soils dried out some and to kill the weeds and grass that tries starting before it's planting season. I've been spreading chicken manure on them all winter when I clean out the coop so they're well fertilized. I also started some cabbage, spaghetti squash, broccoli, bell peppers and onions inside so they'll be ready to plant when the time comes. The way this spring is going I might risk planting early this year. It'll definitely be potato planting time soon.

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
The Missus was tricked,by our warm spell last month,into starting seeds.Well, now that our High Desert climate has re-asserted itself,we're keeping them inside most of the time,hope they survive...

Factor
posted Hide Post
Well I have the tomatoes and peppers in... bell and cayenne, plus beans are in too. Have to get the dill and the pennyroyal planted soon.

I also have a pair of rabbit kits in the yard and I hope momma doesn't sample the plants before they are fully weened and I can live-trap them and put them in the public hunting area. Probably will end up as fox food, but it would be nice to get some rabbit in 2015 (I would wait a year to let any "lawn chemicals" come out of them before hunting them, eh?

LD

Factor
posted Hide Post
????Where do you live that you have to introduce rabbits to have vermin to hunt?

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Where do you live on the high desert, Boartooth? I used to work at the M C ranch out of Adel back in '73.

Graybeard
posted Hide Post
So far I've planted potatoes, cabbage, broccoli, spaghetti squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, peas, beans, bell peppers, beets, and lettuce. Still have spinach, and corn to plant yet.

Factor
posted Hide Post
I live just North of Washington DC, and where there is a high population of fox and feral cats, so..., the bunnies and the quail and the grouse and woodcock get abused. For example on the farm where I hunt most often on private land, I have only "kicked up" a rabbit three times in 15 years..., but in my housing developement, there are at least three adult rabbits, and several kits (two in my yard alone). We see bunnies in my neighborhood every year.

In the public hunting areas I have never kicked up a rabbit, nor quail, and only twice have I kicked up birds, once was a grouse, and once was a woodcock..., and that's in a 20 year span.

I've dropped several feral cats over the past five years or so, and a couple fox.

LD

Factor
posted Hide Post
Ld,good policy.....Tho I'm surprised The Peoples' Republic allows you to have a gun,or use one you have......I live in Beautiful,Metropolitan Keno.west of K Falls on Highway 66...Just a wide spot in the road on the way to Ashland...

Factor
posted Hide Post
As for gardens,We're still planting the early season stuff,tomatoes,squash,etc. still need to wait.....

Booshway
posted Hide Post
We just put in our tomatoes, peppers, and herbs. Our long winter and heavy snow really delayed us this year. We have had such up and down weather that we have been hesitant to plant. So odd for western Oregon!

BCR

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post