New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making cheese
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
Anybody ever tried making their own cheeses. Just simple farmers cheese or ricotta sounds interesting n easy. Actually sounds as if you could do it in camp without to much trouble. Biggest thing would be of course obtaining the milk n controlling the heat. Cheese cloth or simaler should be no problem, vinager would have been every where back in the day. Could be fun to try n then flavoring it with whatever ya like,herbs,spices,garlic etc.

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Yep, I've done it with bacteria and rennet, but the vinegar method is much simpler. Gives a good, basic, "famer cheese" with a lot less effort than pressing and ageing of an artisan cheese.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Ya,the Wife does it all the time.Too time consuming to do it "On the trail",but in camp it might be doable.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Back when I was growing up, my mom used to make homemade cottage cheese in the kitchen sink. It had a taste and flavor that was so much better than the stuff we buy today. She's been gone for over 43 years, taking this recipe and many others with her.

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
From what I've been reading all ya need is some whole milk, maybe a pint of heavy cream to sweeten it a might n either lemon juice or vinager to get the curds n whey to separate. Drain through cheese cloth for a couple hours n dig in. I punched on homemade ricotta/farmers cheese n got a good amount of sites to check out. Couple came up for fresh mozzarella as well. Haven't tried any yet but sounds tasty n easy enough

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
If you use white vinegar, you get more of a "farmer cheese", and if you use fresh lemon juice you get more of a India cheese...I'm told tamarind gives you something very Indian. I'm gonna try it with cider vinegar and see what flavor I get. And some sea salt...don't forget a little sea salt. I might also try it with some buttermilk, bacteria culture that I have frozen, to see what that does to the taste. Big Grin

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
I've made it with whole milk and lemon, and a little salt to perk it up. Strained through cheesecloth overnight in the fridge. Delicious!

My wife loves Indian food and I made a sort of matar paneer (cheese and peas) with it once and she liked it a lot. I preferred it just plain as a snack, maybe with a hunk of bread.

Posts: 207 | Location: The Folle Avoine | Registered: 19 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Those're some great ideas....gonna have to try some...

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post