New
Find
Notify
Tools

DISASTER and CORN
 Login/Join

Factor
posted
So right now we are in the midst of a partial panic and a disease situation.

Kinda similar to past pandemics, though the communications in the 18th century didn't allow for the identification of them as such, back then. Comparing old records we see them as such today.

Measles, influenza, typhoid, cholera, and in previous centuries bouts of bubonic plague hit populations...and the denser the people (in numbers not intellect) the more widespread the malady. Folks in cities died most often.

So right now the U.S. mortality rate is 1.4% in the current crisis. My family and I, because of the State's "abundance of caution" are pretty much holed-up at home.

I have to go to work on weekdays (on when called out) instead of working from home, because I'm a cop. Oh well, somebody has to keep the peace, and when I was in the Marine Corps I was in Recon Battalion. In Recon you had to take care of yourself and those around you, because you operated beyond just about any other form of help. I got used to that. So I became a cop...,

So today I'm taking my previously purchased (before COVID) 25 pound bag of organic, dried, dent corn, and I'm parching it. Three cups of dried corn gets placed into my steel, flat bottomed wok, and with a wooden spatula I toss the dried corn on medium heat (setting 4 on my electric kitchen stove), until all the kernels show a little bit of browning. The idea is to ensure, especially since it's "organic" that I kill off any insect eggs, and thus don't get weevils coming forth. (Happened to me in the past) I pour off the three cups of now parched corn into my large brewing pot, to cool, and continue the process. The corn doesn't "pop" due to it being so dry.

Once finally cooled, late tonight, I will seal the corn in gallon sized ziplock bags, and put these on a shelf in a sealed, plastic bin. It's now Parched Corn as in the 18th century, and will last a long time.

It can me chewed and consumed, or one can grind it (coffee mill Wink ) and add it to soup or such as a thickener, or to cornbread, to stretch corn meal and wheat flour.

IF one has some amylase enzyme from home brewing, they could convert the starch in the ground parched corn into sugar, and then ferment that into corn beer (here's hoping you have some hops), or stretch another sugar source for fermentation.

OH as far as the mind set goes, something that nobody has talked about on TV, where they seem to be ghoulishly centered on the number of cases and deaths... simply pretend that a massive snow storm has hit, with sub zero temps, and you simply cannot go out, except in very dire need, to get to the grocery store, or buy fuel. Stay home, read a book, WORK ON A BLACK POWDER ACCESSORY..., hand sew a shirt, etc...
Unlike such a massive storm, you don't need to worry about:
Power going off
Pipes Freezing or Fresh Water being scarce
Trucks with food get in an out
Ambulance, Fire Dept, and the Police can get to you in an Emergency,
TP is in short supply, so take a dump, take a shower and wash, then disinfect your bathtub floor. Save the TP

OH ONE MORE THING..., Come next December through to next March, there's going to be a baby boom. Coronians or some such label will be used for them I guess..., so just be warned, don't be a cheapo and give those kids "one present for both Christmas and your birthday"...unless you buy them an expensive flintlock rifle...or a car...., then that's OK.

God Bless and Keep You, My Online Neighbors

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Well said Dave. I look on the current situation as yet another opportunity to use the information and skills I started learning in the boy scouts, and later as a black powder enthusiast. Neither my wife nor I can believe the number of people who rush to the store whenever the weather guessers predict a storm. We have a fireplace we can use to keep us warm, or to cook at. We also have a gas grill for cooking if power goes out. We also have several lantern (candle, propane, and battery) that we can use for light. There is also a supply of food that would last us several weeks, if necessary. For all of this I thank my late parents, as well as the many teachers and reenacters such as yourselves for passing on your knowledge.

Part Man, Part Critter
Born under the watch of the Great Spirit

Posts: 69 | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
HEY! Did anyone notice - today is the first full day of spring. YEA.

Having nothing better to do, I decided to run down to the local grocery store and see what I could find. I expected a crowd of rude people pushing and shoving as they struggled to get at the last pack of toilet paper, the last hamburger, the last package of Ramen soup. I went prepared for the worst.

The parking lot of the local Fresh n Low was jammed full of cars. I found an open spot in the back, parked, and jumping puddles from last nights rain, I grabbed an abandoned shopping cart and pushed it into the store.

I noted long lines at the checkout stations. People pushing loaded carts everywhere. I went to the right, to the produce isle and started there. Up and down each aisle I slowly pushed my cart, picking up an item here, an item there. There was a lot of bare space on the shelves! No eggs. No white rice. I did get two small bags of brown rice. No Ramen soup. I did get some spaghetti and a jar of sauce.

Rounding the ends of the congested aisles it was shopping cart against shopping cart. But, I was surprised. Everyone was being cordial. Some even joked about the need for a traffic cop. People aren't that nice in the best of times.

I picked up some bread, some packaged meat, and I even got the last small package of toilet paper. (:~)

Standing in the checkout line, people kept the distance of a shopping cart between them, but there were many conversations going on among strangers. There was plenty of joking about the whole crazy situation.

Coming home I stopped to fill the gas tank of my truck at $1.65 per gallon. Someone told me about another station further down the road that was selling gas for only $1.42 - wow.

I think my wife and I are well set for the next couple of weeks. Now we just hunker down in place and wait. Maybe I'll finally get some chores done around here.

One big bright spot is; There isn't a lot of traffic congestion out on the highways. Smiler

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1260 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
I go out and walk my dog 2 maybe 3 times a day and work on house projects my wife has for me. Not many people around but some. The gas is cheap but you cant go any where. Mark

Posts: 161 | Location: Burlington, Wisconsin | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
It is Spring I just watched a flock of 15 Turkeys all fanned out,strutting,blustering,scratching and talking to the hens,snow coming later this week go figure.Maine in the spring,ocean water temp.40 degrees.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
So yeah it's warmer here than usual too. Going to start my Spring early, and with telecommuting I get less time wasted commuting to and from work So...., some Black Powder and Living History Projects will start soon.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post