Find
Notify
Tools

Stoup on the fire
 Login/Join

Hivernant
Picture of Archie
posted
I got some cooking right now for sunday dinner.
cubed venison,my own buckboard bacon, red potaters, diced tomaters, onions, carots, celery, peas, salt, black pepper and a heepin helpin of fresh garlic. Oh, and a pinch of italian seasoning if ya like. smells like heaven in here.

Posts: 100 | Location: Minn | Registered: 13 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Archie
posted Hide Post
And I forgot to mention the secret ingrediant, chicken and turkey stock made from boiling the left over carcasses and other leavings then freezin until the next batch. I also freeze any left over veggies and meat throughout the years and throw them into what ever stoup or chili is getting cooked next.

Posts: 100 | Location: Minn | Registered: 13 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Aww, com'on, Archie! Don't do that to me!

You can guess what I'll be dreamin' of tonight! Big Grin

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Archie
posted Hide Post
Wink

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Archie,
Today at church they served Birria de Borrego (sauce of lamb) I had two bowls. It was a savory meal, I mean really tasty! I did put some chilis in the first bowl and made it even better, but I felt that the flavor stood on its own and I did not put chilis in the second bowl. I was stuffed and feeling satisfied.
León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Archie
posted Hide Post
Two bowls is about my limit of any stoup too.
Haven't heard of "Birria de Borrego" and even googled it with little success except it's Mexican food. Lots of chilis is that right?

Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
Archie, your stoup sounds much like mine.
I like to clean out the frig, any and all meat and vegs go into the pot, a few spices and some good stock. To go with it a loaf of bread, hot from the oven or bread machine.

LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
Picture of Seepwater
posted Hide Post
My wife, Barb, makes a 32 bean soup and tosses in a ham bone. It is the most filling soup I've ever had.

Generally the cycle is one meal with a big ham, the next meal with ham and cabbage, and the third with 32 bean soup.

shoot first ask questions later

Posts: 220 | Location: Lyman, WY....just 6 miles from Ft. Bridger! | Registered: 09 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Archie
posted Hide Post
I think the ham bone has a very high value and versitility. Makes plit pea, red beans-n-rice, all sorts of beans, soups, stews and stoups just to name a few. Ever wonder what to do with all those ends and peices of your home made bacon?

STOUP is too crouded to be soup and not quite thick enough to be stew. It is never exactly the same twice and is always good. It is where all left over meats and veggies have a home. As Leeroy said, warm fresh bread brings it all together.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Heh,My Mom used to call that"end of the week soup"
Usually pretty good,but we were pretty poor(large family on Senior Petty officer pay) so nothing went to waste,even if the flavor combos were weird.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Birrea usually translates as Goat. Not that lamb wouldnt be great.

Posts: 129 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I thought goat was chevre.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Goat is cabrillo to me.

Posts: 302 | Location: Az. | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Cabrito is the dish I know of and it is also goat but a young one(kid) roasted on a spit or in a pit.

Posts: 129 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
"Chevre" is French for goat. Cabrito is barbecued kid, isn't it?

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Dick,
around here, our new house, I see about four or five places close to each other that are dedicated to Birria de Chivo. Chivo being macture goat. slow boiled in broth which is what the dish is, is really soft and edible. I believe cabrito is young goat or kid, but I would have to look it up again. Of Course, other geographical places use different terms here in ole México.
León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Well, the only time I've had cabrito was at the historic hotel in Marathon, TX, north of Big Bend National Park. It was barbequed. That doesn't mean all cabrito is, I suppose!

Dick
It was delicious!

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post