muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc
Underground

This topic can be found at:
https://muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/706104309/m/4514001148

13 October 2016, 09:05 AM
John Blozik
Underground
I have always enjoyed cooking a deer hind quarter underground. I would dig a hole big enough for the seasoned up deer, start a small fire and let it go to coals. Would then place the meat on the hot coals in the hole, and bury it. Next step is to build a fire on top of it, and let it go as long as you can. 6-8 hours does very nicely. You can also put potatoes,carrots, and onions around it. I have watched Lambs, and Goats done like this in the country while living in Europe. My question is what would they use before tin foil was invented to wrap everything up in?
14 October 2016, 06:41 AM
Rancocas
Other than people in the tropics who could use banana leaves or some other large leaf, I don't know. Maybe a lot of damp corn husks laid under, around, and over the meat. Or, how about some lightweight cloth, such as cheesecloth?
I doubt that cooking underground was ever very popular with northern peoples. I have seen whole pigs roasted on a spit over a bed of hot coals.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.
14 October 2016, 03:28 PM
Boartooth
Hmm,I have participated in pit cooking where the meat was wrapped in wet burlap.....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin
15 October 2016, 04:04 PM
Loyalist Dave
I have used two, damp, cotton, drawstring bags, when doing fowl. except that we lined the hole with blue-stone once, and with half bricks the other time. When doing fowl, it's important that you have a couple of stones large enough to be dropped (use tongs) into the body cavity, then put the bird in the bag, cinch it up, then reverse for the second bag. We started with a lined hole (with an air vent dug in from the side) with extra stones or half-bricks. when the fire burned down, we removed the extra stone, inserted the birds in the bag, THEN covered the bagged birds with more stones, then with a damp yard of canvas, followed by the dirt. Do it at about noon, by 18:00 or 19:00 ready to go. You don't get a crispy skin on them though, as it's more like steamed.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove
16 October 2016, 08:01 AM
John Blozik
Your right, it is like being steamed. Makes the toughest chunk of meat as tender as can be that literally just falls off the bone. I saw a lot of lamb and goats cooked like this in both Serbia and Montenegro. Very tasty. I guess the real advantage is getting something set up early in the am, and having it ready to eat when you return to camp at dark. Just picked up a new dutch oven and I am looking forward to giving it a try. I remember my father and his buddies always used one when I was young.
16 October 2016, 02:15 PM
Boartooth
MMyes...Depending on the size of Dutch oven,you could skip some wrapping steps,and just plop your meat in the D.O. and seal the edge with clay,then bury that in the cooking pit...

16 October 2016, 02:17 PM
Boartooth
Actually,you prolly don't need to seal the lid with clay if you lid fits well to your pot....

19 October 2016, 06:19 AM
Loyalist Dave
I was imagining my getting very lucky and having a very good seal...only to have the contents hit the boiling point and BOOMWHOOSH when the steam built up. Instead of "raining cats and dogs" it would be raining hens and pig Big Grin

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove
19 October 2016, 12:09 PM
Boartooth
Lol,yeah,there is that chance.... Big Grin

06 November 2016, 09:22 AM
John Blozik
Going to try this.