New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mutton Stew
 Login/Join

Factor
posted Hide Post
What,no beets?.....Sounds good,I may try this....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I've been learning to cook central asian food. One of the very popular dishes starts out as a mutton stew made with onions(sliced), carrots (julienned) and meat (in cubes). The stew (zivak) is made and spices Turmeric, cumin and others are added and the meat is cooked until tender. Then rice is added along with raisins, barberries and allowed to steam until the liquid is absorbed into the rice.

Posts: 129 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
That DOES sound good....

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Shoshone, what kind of rice do you use? Brown, white, or wild? Also would like to know more about barberries. That is a new berry for me. Smiler

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I use an Afghani brand Basmati rice. The trick is to rinse it several times before cooking it.
Barberries are red dried berries like cranberries. You can get them in Persian markets in bulk or packaged as Zeresh.

Posts: 129 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Nice recipe.
Thanks

"I don't know where we're goin', but there's no sense bein' late." Quigley

Posts: 104 | Location: The Beehive State | Registered: 12 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, Mom would get a hankerin' for rack of lamb, roast lamb or lamb chops every once in a while. When this occurred, there was no dealing with her, so Dad would Take whichever of us kids wanted to, to a small cafe nearby where we could get real food, meaning something other than boiled sidehill rabbit. I always went for chicken fried steak with strawberry rhubarb pie for dessert.

Dad always said the only things sheep were good for were mittens, coats, and to keep the coyotes from killing calves.

We did have goat fairly often though, there were three Mexican families on our block and they knew how cook it. I found out later that goat, chevonne, cabrito, whatever you want to call it is the most common red meat eaten on Earth

Three Hawks

Posts: 506 | Location: Puget Sound Area | Registered: 26 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
An' one of the best.I've eaten a lot of goat,and lamb.But Mom would never let mutton in her house,claimed it stunk up the place,I've never had mutton prepared by someone who liked it...

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Yeeessss, birria de chivo...me gusta mucho, er, good stuff. I like to eat at el chivo feliz, the happy goat, the place with the picture of the billy goat with the toothy grin out front. You roll up strips of goat meat in your tortilla and dip it in the broth, the birria. Yummy! El León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Geez,Leon,you got me drooling with that description,an' I just finished eating!

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Glad to be of service!

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Well, I won't upset my brothers here with my feelings about mutton, so I'll just say that I'm sure glad that y'all like it and have some good recipes!

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post