New
Find
Notify
Tools

boiled beef
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
anyone else ever dine on boiled beef, Its scrumptous, take a fatty piece of beef(doesn't really make a difference what cut it is) n cube it up like ya would for stew, cover it with water maybe 1/4 inch over the meat, add some chopped onion n garlic, a bay leaf, good dose of fresh ground black pepper n let just barely simmer for oh three hours or so. Put over spuds, rice or noodles grab a hunk of good buttered bread n dig in. The meat will almost melt in your mouth. Ya need a more fatty cut though, or at least thats what I prefer. Boiled meats would be very correct in camp as roasted, grilled, fryed n such were eaten but boiled was common folk food. If ya never had it n most folks haven't try it, I think you'll apreciate the flavor n texture.

Posts: 964 | Location: south eastern Pa | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I agree it needs to be fatty. If you get the meat too lean it can dry out something fierce. I like throwing some root vegetables in once it has been cooking for awhile too. Boiling is really period also.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Hey Birdman, sounds like your a gourmet cook. Next time try using short ribs like my Mother used to. She boiled it down with an assortment of vegetables so that you also had soup with the meat. I can stll remember my Father eating the meat without saying a word or looking up from his plate. When he finished there was an ear to ear smile on his face. Have a great day, Flintlockjoe.

Posts: 45 | Location: Rockland County, NY | Registered: 29 May 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Funny you just mentioned that I just made some on Sunday. Short ribs, carrots, onions, celery, and some home canned tomatoes. With some redwine, fresh thyme, fresh rosemary, salt, and pepper for seasoning.

I decided to do something different so I cooked up some polenta and put the ribs and sauce over that. Turned out fairly well.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
When I make it with venison I add a little salt pork to the mix. Tony

Posts: 349 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 14 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
haven't tried it with venison because its usually so lean but may give that a try n short ribs huh, that sounds right lip smacken too. and with a couple other posts yea you can add different veggies n make a "stoup" sorta half stew n half soup if ya like, thats good too. I usually boil up some beef 4or 5 times a year, don't want it all the time but sure get a hankering for it on occasion, hehe had some last night n thought I'd pass on the info cause it just tasted sa dang good

Posts: 964 | Location: south eastern Pa | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Its hard to beat Beaver stew as done above but some fat from somethimg usually makes it better I have served "Beeve" stew to several folks who still do not know waht type of "Beeve" they were eating, they probably assumed the typical Angus or Hereferd, but this was the "flattail Beeve"

Posts: 272 | Registered: 12 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Never tried just boiling beef...always made stew, soup or short ribs and sauer kraut in a crock pot. I've also made my soup with ox tails...now theres some fatty but great tasting beef for soup.

I'll have to give it a try. One thing I like to do is add a can of beef broth along with the water...adds a little more flavor to the mix. I can just see this type of meal cooking for hours in a corn boiler at the edge of a fire until sometime after dark. I would suspect it would be with wild meat though...not too many cattle in the mountains in the late 1700's.

L8R...Ken

Posts: 403 | Location: In the Hardwoods of Eastern Iowa | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
hey Skunk, twernt to many people type folks in the mountains either, maybe a few Natives and a Frenchman or two but L&C didn't get out there until 1804 or so.Granted they were far from the first bunch but the real influx a trappers happened around 1808 to 1810 or so.Most history out that far really came after the War of Northern Agression. Wasn't to many around to write things down before that hehe some but not to many hehehe and on the cooken end, I make soups n stews often as well but sometimes just like the boiled beef all alone

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I'll be sure to try just boiled beef. Heck, I like just boiled chicken so beef should be a good change of pace. A little salt, some pepper and we're good to go.

Thanks for all the info and the recipe.

L8R...Ken

Posts: 403 | Location: In the Hardwoods of Eastern Iowa | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
We call it Pot roast here in New England, Yum

Posts: 109 | Location: NH | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Ya,that's pretty good,add a few 'taters,acouple'a carrots,and a onion and you have a meal to write home about...

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Pare-
posted Hide Post
I really like boiled beef, although I prefer it broiled a lot better. I boil pork ribs and when they're nearly done, I add rice.

Pare-

Posts: 104 | Location: Little River, I.T. | Registered: 06 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Lot's of times.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
We call it pot roast, add carrots, turnips, onions and taters Yum!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 109 | Location: NH | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
When my girls were home they liked Ma to boile a big cut up roast til done, drain most of the broth off, saving it to flavor a pot of vegetable soup, and cover it with BBQ sauce, homemade if we had it, and mashed tater's and corn bread! It were a good meal!

Love the Smell of Smoke!

Posts: 4 | Location: SWVA? | Registered: 19 December 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Ho boy,here we go again,talking 'bout one'a my favrit things to eat....BEEF!!!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post