New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knapsack Mashed Potatoes
 Login/Join

Factor
posted
This is for cooking in a small tin pot or tinned copper pot over a small fire. It is for use with ingredients available in the 18th century, and easily carried in one's pack.

I made this over the weekend when I got stuck at the HQ area of the British camp at an event, and several hundred yards from the cooking tents and my group. It was mealtime, and I needed something, and I had the ingredients in my pack.

You'll need

2 large potatoes (I used redskin potatoes)
1 small, yellow onion
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
Salt
Cayenne Pepper
Water

A copper or tin pot with a lid
a wooden spoon
a knife
fire or a brazier

Cube up the potatoes into the pot. ( If the potatoes are of a thick skinned variety instead of redskinned, you may want to peal them.) The smaller the cubes the faster the cooking time. Dice up the onion and add it to the potatoes (if you don't like onion omit it), then cover all with water. Add a pinch of salt, place the lid on the pot, and place on the fire. Bring to a boil, and when the potatoes are soft, using the lid drain off the water.

Add the olive oil (I guessed at the amount being two tablespoons), some salt, and mash up the potatoes and onions with the spoon. Add the cayenne pepper if you like a little spiciness. If you're by yourself just eat it right out of the pot.

This recipe "works" because the lack of the fat from not using butter and/or milk is supplanted by the olive oil. Butter needs to be kept cool or needs to be heavily salted, and you're either carrying canned milk or powdered milk... why not omit both. I carry the Olive Oil in a 250 ml glass bottle with a cork.

You could probably do this with turnips, or sweet taters. Probably more calories in sweet taters.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
Thanks! I am rather fond of mash taters Roll Eyes I'll take your recipe to camp next weekend,

Reply With QuoteReport This Post