Notify
Tools

Fry pan 1830's and later.
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted
Hello all,
I'm looking to put together a small "backpackable" camp cook kit. I would like it to cook/feed for two people.
I just got a 1 quart tin lined copper kettle with a lid at Monroe.
My next thought is a fry pan of some sort.
What do y'all use and like? What should I avoid?
Thanks,
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Sage Rider
posted Hide Post
Hey Andy, just got back from Monroe myself. What a fun deal, had never been before.

I use a folding skillet(handle part). I believe it's 6" in diameter and packs really well. I saw them at Monroe for about $25. There are several distributors out there. Look for a well made one or it might warp!!!

"Don't Retreat, just reload"

Posts: 411 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
I haven't actually tried it yet, so can't fairly judge quality, etc. but I got a small one from Crazy Crow with a folding handle; I also don't really know if it resembles a historical piece or not. But it seems sturdy. I'll use it this summer, I 'spect.

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I have a fry pan with a folding handle. Thought I would make great use of it on treks and primitive camps.
If you're going to fry, you need cooking oil or grease or meat fat of some kind; not too available on a trek. Fire has to be down to coals for even heat.
Most of the foods I took on treks were cooked by boiling, even the meats. The starches were usuall grains or dried things and the meats were jerky. If I ever had fresh meat I broiled it.
Found I didn't really need the fry pan if I just altered my diet for a short time.
Yes, I guess I'm lazy, but it worked out fine for me. Spent a whole week at a Pacific Primative with my grandson and boiled all the meals and he thought it was grand. We never fried a thing.

Dave D.

Posts: 97 | Location: Shelton, WA | Registered: 23 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys.
Sage rider, Glad you had a good time at Monroe. I always have fun and its good to see some of the folks from here.
Dick, Guess I'll check out Crazy Crow, They have good stuff.
Dave, Thanks for your insight. I think I'll be using my fry pan for roasting green coffee beans more than anything else.
Any other hints on the "care and feeding" of tin cookware?
Thanks again,
Andy

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Like Dave, I leave my skillet at home. Even here at home I seldom fry anything, except once a week I do fry some bacon and eggs for breakfast.
Out on the trail I use a one quart tin pot with a lid and a bail. Nested inside that pot is a tin cup, a wooden spoon, and a pot holder that keeps the cup from rattling around in there. (Don't use metal utensils in a tin pot)
That is all the cookware that I carry. My eating utensils are just my wood spoon and my knife. If I need a fork for some reason I can easily whittle one from a forked stick. Fresh meat and fish get skewered on a stick and broiled over the campfire coals. Everything else is boiled.
However, if you don't mind packing the extra weight of a skillet and a container of oil, well then... :~]

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of Beaver Hunter
posted Hide Post
Andy,

Here is a picture of my cooking gear. For eating I carry a tin cup, wooden spoon, and tin plate with a lip around the edge. I like the raised edge, because I can also use it as a bowl for eating stew. A copper boiler or a bigger tin boiler (depends on how many people will be in camp) and rope for making a tri-pod from branches to hang the boiler. A set of small salt and pepper horns rounds out my gear. All of the tinware was made by Carl Giordano.

I don't drink coffee, but the tin plate would probably work for roasting coffee beans. Not sure if the solder on mine would hold up without liquid in it. But, you could get a one piece stamped out mess plate that has a lip on the edges. It would work for roasting coffee beans, be a lot lighter than a fry pan, and also serve as your plate.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Beaver Hunter,

Posts: 76 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Rancocas, Thanks for the description of your mess gear.Also thanks for the hint about no metal utensils in a tin pot.

Beaver Hunter, thank you for the picture of your mess gear. I like your idea of a one piece plate for roasting beans.
My tin/copper boiler looks like yours. Do you like it?
Thanks again guys,
Andy

Booshway
Picture of Sage Rider
posted Hide Post
I use my folding handled fry pan as a plate. I just like the handle use when it's hot. I too roast my beans while trekking and the handle has been handy(no pun intended)) LOL. I also sometimes carry smoked bacon. So I guess I fry with it a lot.....

Posts: 411 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Sage Rider,
I like the size of your fry pan. I also like the idea of a handle when things get hot.
Turkey Foot trading has one that is 6 1/2 inches with a folding handle. At the risk of some bad jokes coming my way, do you find that 6 inch pan enough for most things or would you get a bigger size ?
Thanks,
Andy

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Its not period correct by a long shot but I have used an old metal pie plate for a frying pan as well as a plate to eat from. Ya gotta be careful n keep the heat down because as thin as the metal is its REAL EASY to burn stuff(personal experience hehehe)YA ALSO NEED SOMETHING FOR YOUR HAND to keep from burning yourself pulling it off the fire, but like others have said the majority of stuff when by myself is boiled or simmered in a small quart sized pot.If ya skewer bacon on fairly long green whips you can get the same effect as frying, other meats can be done simaler and taste great roasted that way and ya don't need to lug gear from camp to camp--hehe lighter loads for a lazy trekker(me) ;0) YMHS Birdman

Posts: 964 | Location: south eastern Pa | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Birdman,
Thanks for the tip on the pie plates.
Have roasted meat before on a stick, never bacon though. Gonna have to give that a try.
Thanks again,
Andy

Booshway
Picture of Sage Rider
posted Hide Post
Hi Andy,

I found that the 6" pan works great for one person, and ....roasting coffee beans and such!!! I would probably get an 8" if I could find one!!!

Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:
the tin plate would probably work for roasting coffee beans.

No not a good idea, as tin melts at 450º while coffee beans begin browning at 475º and above, Big Grin and you can't fry eggs in a tinned copper pot either..., well you CAN but you can't eat the eggs and retinning the pot is costly - - - personal experience Eeker

Depending on how "portable" you mean, I have a small iron pot with iron lid that I converted into a tiny Dutch oven, that one can fry in the lid or the actual body of the "oven".

I also have a folding handle skillet, which probably isn't correct, but works great. (My Skillet) I have noticed that HC objections fade when you are sharing cooked bacon. Big Grin There are some event where I leave it at home though.

I also have a tiny copper skillet with brass handle, doesn't fold, but is small enough to pack.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys.
I think I'm gonna go with a small skillet with a folding handle. I really love coffee and roasting the beans over a fire sounds like fun.
Thanks again.
Andy

Hivernant
Picture of Pare-
posted Hide Post
I've seen Cool Handle skillets that have the logo removed and wrapped with leather.

Pare-

Posts: 104 | Location: Little River, I.T. | Registered: 06 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Pare-,
I have done that to some cast iron skillets as well. Looks pretty good and keeps your hand from burning.
Andy

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I have several steel skillets that get (got) a lot of use. The small one is more used than the others when I am alone. And, it fits in my haversack nicely. That makes it handy to use when invited by another camp to share their food. A three tined fork is in haversack also. I ain't no dummy.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I have a small skillet with a foldable handle I use from Jastownsend and son that I like to use. Always found their items to be top notch.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hi Andy,

Any sheet metal frying pan is going to give you fits. They will not season so you're gonna have to use yours over very low, even heat. Patience is the watchword. I get by very well with a 1qt kettle just like yours, a wood spoon and a 6" more or less fryingpan I got for a buck at an Anteekew Mall. They were popular in the 30's 'cause that's what folks could afford. I don't trek so cooking is easier for me. I also got me a bird fork from Turkey Foot. It is the cat's pajamas for broiling sausages of nearly any stripe and is God's gift for cooking those lil' game hens. My gob was smacked when I learned how quickly one of 'em is ready to eat. If not started from frozen.
Three Hawks

Posts: 506 | Location: Puget Sound Area | Registered: 26 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post