New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cooking Vessels
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
posted
Tin lined copper and brass pots,any advantage of one over the other?

Posts: 81 | Location: N W Florida | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Not sure of any advantage of one over the other. My kettle is tin lined copper with a flat lid,bought at a gun show. Looks like the smaller one from Crazy Crow. It holds just about a quart and a half. Had it a year now and very happy,no complaints.
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Depends on what you are trying to go for? If you want to be PC, make sure it fits, the time & place you are after. Are you really going to get on the ground with them, meaning "trek", I find the copper and brass are going to add a little weight. Not much but every once adds up. Drive & drop camps it wont matter. Copper transfers heat better. I do western fur trade so tin kettles fit me. Most of the copper kettles that I have seen out there (I own one) are of the HBC design,

Posts: 350 | Location: Whitewater, CO. | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Nope, tin, copper, brass all quickly transfer heat, faster than iron. You must be carefull not to let any of them boil dry when they are tinned as the tin and solder will melt out quickly when that happens. Not tragic if you don't have food in them when they boil dry, as you can cook with them even when untinned..., as it's the tarnish that forms from leaving acid foods in them for a long period of time that is toxic, not the use of clean brass or copper.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post