New
Find
Notify
Tools

DUTCH OVEN
 Login/Join

Factor
posted
This is not an ad or a solicitation to buy, just a tip on an inexpensive piece of camp cooking gear...

Hey folks, I know they don't have the best rep for quality tools...sort of hit and miss...but Harbor Freight is offering a 12" diameter x 5" deep, 6-quart Dutch Oven for a good price. It has no brand name markings anywhere, and the inside of the lid is smooth, (some of the ones on the market today have those "self basting" points on the inside of the lid), so you can invert the lid and it doubles as a skillet. Reviews of it are good.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3645 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Thanks,LD.Normally I don't shop with them,but this looks to be worth a stop.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 1452 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I buy a metric boatload of various stuff from HF,knowing full well what they sell. the quality of their cast Iron cookware has improved a lot recently. If you buy from them try to do it in store not on line because you can test the lid(s) for fit as a poorly fitted lid is an abomination and will never cook well, just select one that does not rattle on the pot. A lid can be fitted by application of lots of elbow grease and copious amounts of coarse water base valve grinding compound between the sealing surface of the lid and body of the Dutch oven. You will know when a light application of cooking grease applied all around the contact surface will allow you to pick the entire oven off the ground by the lid handle only. A nearly fitted lid an be made to fit in short order; a poorly fitted one in only a few hours of hard work.

I have two well fitted ovens from HF, both bought in store and finish fitted at home. Both work perfectly.

Another lil' tip: use lump Charcoal, not briquettes. You won't believe the difference

Three Hawks

Posts: 506 | Location: Puget Sound Area | Registered: 26 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Where can I get lump charcoal?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1clean1owner,

"I don't know where we're goin', but there's no sense bein' late." Quigley

Posts: 104 | Location: The Beehive State | Registered: 12 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post