MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Campfire Cooking    Americas final civilized meal LOL
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Americas final civilized meal LOL
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
I think I just figured out Americas last civilized meal if there is ever a total natural disaster. Its gonna be scrambled eggs n either pancakes of french toast n I'm leaning toward the toast, if ya think what everybody runs to the store for at the last minute it make sense, milk, bread, eggs n butter. And every house has at least one small bottle of cinnamon sugar sitting around someplace. I'm thinking on investing in Maple syrup LOL as pancakes n french toast just ain't complete with out good maple syrup--oh yea I'm gonna be a millionare.-- hope ya all got a good belly laugh YMHS n counting my money already Birdman aw geez somebody ought to whip me with a wet noodle, when I first posted I forgot Americas meat BACON, EVERYTHING TASTS BETTER WITH BAAACOOON !!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Birdman,

Posts: 964 | Location: south eastern Pa | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Son, if'n ya'll come down here below the Mason Dixon Line ya'll best like grits 'cause you're likely to get 'em with you're bisquits 'n gravy, or your eggs and bacon whether ya'll axe fer 'em or not. Grits is dang near mandatory!

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Well, down here we get fijoles served with breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc. Also rice is served. often you get nachos and hot chili sauce. I just bought some agave syrup and will put it on some pancakes left over from a breakfast Audrey made recently. Maple syrup is only solds at stores that cater to gringos, and is expensive.
But, if you want to be real adventurous you can have menudo which is slabs of cow stomach in thin broth, or birria which is of goat, beef, pork or whatever, and I do mean whatever, served in a broth of meat and condiment chilis that may or may not have a little picante, yumm! Of course, these two breakfasts come with a never ending stack of hot tortillas for dipping into the broth.
Hombre del Bosque.

Oh, BTW, some restaurantes actually serve eggs.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Rancocas,
Right you are! It's gotta be grits with the bacon and eggs, but other stuff too.

Worked with a helicopter pilot who had just returned from a job in Arkansas...he said if you buy shoes there ya get grits!

I went to Chattanooga to teach a wildfire course several years ago with a bunch of Californians. Got off the plane in Atlanta, rented a car and drove to TN. They were looking for a place to eat...I said "If you put sugar and milk on yo' grits I'm moving to the other end of the restaurant!"

Some folks could walk on a gold nugget path and not know it.

That said, I am partial to pure maple syrup...

Sparks

"I thought when you said you chased tornadoes, it was just a metaphor."
--soon to be ex-fiance in Twister

Posts: 247 | Location: Boise | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by volatpluvia:
Well, down here we get fijoles served with breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc. Hombre del Bosque.

Oh, BTW, some restaurantes actually serve eggs.

Ah, my overall favorite border-land Mexican meal is huevos rancheros, with maybe a tamal on the side.
I'd settle for that as my last civilized meal.
Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
well I aint a Yankee, but anyone that likes grits would drink someone else's bath water.

a day in the woods with a flintlock refreshes a man's soul

Posts: 191 | Location: Battlefield,Missouri | Registered: 25 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hey Sparks;
Could be that we met when you were here in TN a few years ago. I help maintain the hiking trails in the Cherokee National Forest and I remember meeting a bunch of visiting firefighters from out west. One fella kept asking me to identify some of our eastern trees for him.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
When I was a teenager back in 1960 the Navy sent be from my home in Philadelphia to a short tour of duty in Florida. The first morning in the crow line I spotted the "cream of wheat". Of course I appied the milk and sugar! That's when I learned about grits. Eggs over easy, mixed with butter, and the yolks all in the grits!! Yumm!

Colonel Christopher

Posts: 15 | Location: Ocean City NJ | Registered: 11 March 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Dang it fellows. I've lived my whole life here in Pennsltucky. My wife makes the best grits,from scratch sweet potatoe pie and bisciuts and gravy. If you're gonna talk breakfast you gotta have scrapple.

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Newoodsrunner
posted Hide Post
what ever happen to WHEATIES BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS

Posts: 461 | Location: SW Okla | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Willis Creek
posted Hide Post
Grits are not an acquired taste. They are in fact a genetic imperative. If you are not Southern by birth, you won't understand.

"touch not the cat without a glove"
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Posts: 143 | Location: South of the Arkansas, on the slopes of St. Charles Peak, Colorado territory | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
On Wednesdays here, I often go to the local street market in Ajijic. (pronounced ah hee heek) A local pizza restaurant brings an oven run by bottled gas. They make a delicious pizza of various recipes. So I stop at the stand where a young guy is squeezing oranges in a hand driven device an buy a half liter of fresh orange juice and then up a couple of stands to the pizza place. I call this the BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS. Many gringos look at me with envy because I have the audacity to actually eat that. They are all watching their cholesterol. I probably should but that pizza makes a mighty good breakfast.
Dick, I remember a huevos ranchos breakfast I had on the way back from Laredo, oh the heartburn...
Hombre del Bosque

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deercop
posted Hide Post
Volatpluvia,
Can you get machaca, or the meatless version migas for breakfasts there? I know they are Mexican rather than New Mexican, as I get them at a Jalisco Mexican Restaurant.
One of my favorite things for breakfast! Go there at least once a week.

Posts: 649 | Location: Clovis, New Mexico | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Dearcop,
Hmmnnn...I don't know what a miga is. I would think that a muchacha would be a pretty and young woman, but then I don't know everything. It could be that it is called something else here. I know that when mex's come in from the north especially they have favorite foods that are not found here. Even a Jalisco restaurant there might feature foods that are not favorites or even eaten at all here in the state of Jalisco. Lots of regional differences.
Now for lunch, lengua en salsa verde...¡um, umh!
Hombre del Bosque

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Hey Willis Creek,
I wasn't born in the south, but come from a long line of Southerners and get my 'taste' for grits--that staff of life--genetically.

Rancocas,
Could well have been...but I don't remember much outside time in the class. I went to High School in Prince George County VA, so it wasn't me asking about southern trees...I am pretty well up on southern hardwoods...and I miss them dearly every fall when I know they are in spectacular color. I taught an introductory Fire Information class in about '95 or '96 in Chattanooga. Terry McDonald from the Cherokee NF was there.

Sparks

Posts: 247 | Location: Boise | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deercop
posted Hide Post
Volatpluvia,
Here's a picture of some migas. The machaca is the same but with shredded beef. It's scrambled eggs with tortilla chips, cheese,jalapenos, usually with tomato,and potatos.
I went through my stuff and found my recipe for migas if anyone is interested in trying them. I got it out of some magazine sometime back. This recipe makes 6 servings. Also found out "migas" means "crumbs" in Spanish. Machaca is a Mexican form of jerky, though I just use brisket or roast beef.

Vaquero Migas

Ingredients

10 yellow or white corn tortillas

1 tablespoon Vegetable oil

12 eggs, beaten

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 cup shredded cheese (Cheddar or a good Mexican white is preferred)

1/4 cup finely chopped onion

1/4 cup finely chopped firm, ripe tomato

2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped (optional)

Prep Time - 5
Cook Time - 15

Instructions
1. Cut tortillas into 1 x 2-inch rectangles. Pour oil into a large skillet to a depth of about 1 1/2 inches. Heat over medium-high heat. When oil is hot but not smoking, fry tortilla pieces, stirring to keep them from sticking together. Before they are crisp, transfer the chips to a platter covered with paper towels to drain. Set aside.
2. Discard about half the oil, return pan to heat, and add eggs. Season with salt and pepper, and stir constantly. As eggs begin to set, add tortilla chips and continue to stir, scraping the bottom of the pan. When the eggs reach a soft scramble, fold in cheese, followed by onion, tomato and jalapeños.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Deercop,

Posts: 649 | Location: Clovis, New Mexico | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Oh, man! I'm doing great on Weight Watchers, but you're making me hungry!

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deadeye
posted Hide Post
Oh real nice Deercop! I haven't even ate breakfast yet and you've stepped over the line with that Migas....I'll take Mexican food over everything and that sure looks great. Try and find some good Mexican or Southern cooking here in KS....it ain't going to happen. I've had great food in Ark years ago and never forgot it, I love corn bread and beans but love Mexican better.

Taco Bell here I come! Wink

Posts: 1452 | Location: Good Ole USA of course! | Registered: 15 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
A civilized meal would have to be Low Country shrimp and grits, Cajun blackened catfish and fried okra.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Hanshi,
Now THERE'S a civilized lunch or dinner. After reading this thread, it's almost snack time!

Referring back to Dick's huevos rancheros...now there's an outstanding meal! I had it a few times in restaurants and liked it fine. But I truly became spoiled with it at the Taos Inn in Taos NM several years ago. The recipe was a 250 year old 'family recipe' that was like no other huevos rancheros I'd ever had. I can't remember too many details, and if I stray too far from the ingredients some of you Taos locals be sure to correct me...maybe even provide a recipe. Smiler

The accompanying 'chilie' was the standard New Mexican "red or green." There were fried potatoes in a mixture including onions and heavenly seasonings along side of farm supplied eggs.

FRIDGE!

Sparks