MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Campfire Cooking    Americas final civilized meal LOL
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Americas final civilized meal LOL
 Login/Join

Factor
posted Hide Post
Ummm,how do you render 'butter' from caribou antlers?Sounds fascinating....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Swanny
posted Hide Post
Collect all the caribou antlers you can find. Just stack 'em up and wait for one of those days when it's too damned cold to even consider traveling or working outside. Get you a fire going, and a big ol' kettle of water boiling. Cut up those antlers into knife-handle size chunks and start boiling 'em. Then boil 'em some more. Then some more.

Throw a few more sticks on the fire and boil 'em even longer. After a good long time skim off the fat (the butter), pour out the water and give the remaining antler chunks to the dogs.

It's an old Gold-Rush trick. With a bit of salt the fat from the antlers tastes and spreads like dairy butter.

“A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other.” (William Francis Butler)

Posts: 28 | Location: Two Rivers, Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
That....Is fascinating.....

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
That's one'a those things that make you say "How in the world did anyone come up with that?".Does this work for other kinds of deer?

Greenhorn
Picture of Swanny
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's one'a those things that make you say "How in the world did anyone come up with that?".Does this work for other kinds of deer?

I'd speculate that one of those late 19th century prospectors either learned the trick from Natives who had been through starving times, or was desparate and near starvation himself.

“A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other.” (William Francis Butler)

Posts: 28 | Location: Two Rivers, Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Man, you guys are missing out. Lutefisk, potatoes and pickled herring. That is what civilized people eat.

anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

Posts: 126 | Location: Demokratik Republik of Washington | Registered: 29 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I'm of the opinion that Lutefisk is the longest running practical joke going.From an entire culture on the rest of the world! Wink

Graybeard
posted Hide Post
I've never eaten Lutefisk, but like most processed and stored foods, it helped stave off hunger while keeping the food safe. Most cultures developed all sorts of fermented products like pickles and kraut. I have a book on eskimo foods in Alaska. Recipes were very site specific and preparing one in another location could result in botulism. Very interesting recipes berries and leaves fermented in seal stomaches and such.

Posts: 210 | Location: Fingerlakes | Registered: 02 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boartooth:
I'm of the opinion that Lutefisk is the longest running practical joke going.From an entire culture on the rest of the world! Wink

My dad grew up eating it and got me going on it. We never miss the annual dinner. We each did one full platter last year. Smiler

anything worth shooting is worth shooting once.

Posts: 126 | Location: Demokratik Republik of Washington | Registered: 29 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I have to admit,I've never had Lutefisk.If offered I would probably give it a try....That said,I have had a lot of fun giving a Norsk friend a hard time over the years.He laughs too.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
First time on this forum and already I've found a thread that I like!

Mine would have to be Akkee and Saltfish, with hardo bread, callaloo, boiled egg and pickapepper sauce.

Or a Full English fryup... Bacon, lincolnshire sausages, beans, fried tomato, fried egg, fried mushrooms, fried bread, hash browns, toast and lots of tea!

Posts: 4 | Location: The Midlands, England. | Registered: 27 October 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Sounds like good,warm you up food....Ok,I recognised boiled egg and pickapepper sauce,the rest of that line is completely foreign to me....strange how that works..... Wink

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Meat, red meat cooked over coals and still bleedin'. And any beer from Dechutes brewery.
Last uncivilized meal would probably be coyote or cockroaches 'cause they'll probably survive longest.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Homemade venison sausage, made with maple bacon, and a scramble of eggs, and fried potatos. Here in the North Country, our diet demands venison, or moose at least once a day!

" You do with your scalp as you wish and don't be telling us what to with ours."

Posts: 158 | Location: lake champlain, vt | Registered: 03 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boartooth:
pickapepper sauce
On Anything YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 109 | Location: NH | Registered: 05 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post