New
Find
Notify
Tools

More cheese
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
Been doing some reading n found out sour milk can be used to make cheese. Sounds interesting and would make sense of something to do with milk before refrigeration came to be. I hate wasteing stuff was why I started looking into it. It can also be used in biscuts, pancakes etc as well. Folks also drank the whey after separating out the curds for farmers cheese. Got to do more reading before I try it to learn the process n safety factors. Chuckled thinking how many gallons have been dumped over the years when it could have been used up except for lack of lnowledge

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I was taught quite young about its' uses for pancakes and biscuits by my Gramma....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Well one can make ricotta from whey too.

I made some farmer's cheese last night, trying to introduce some extra flavor by adding a piece of frozen, ripened, buttermilk. I probably need to age it further than two hours before I finish the cheese. (Sour milk might be a good answer too for flavor)

The basic formula is thus:

1/2 gallon whole milk
1/2 pint heavy cream
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 tspn of fine, sea salt.

(Makes about two cups of cheese)

Bring the milk and cream up to the boiling point in a steel pot, stirring as it gets near to boiling to prevent sticking on the bottom of the pot. Add the vinegar and continue to stir. For a harder cheese heat it up to boiling and stir it at that temp for about two minutes. Otherwise turn off the heat when it starts to show "boiling bubbles".

Strain through a colander lined with two layers of cheese cloth. Sprinkle on the salt, then lift the edges of the cheese cloth to enclose the cheese into a ball, and gently squeeze for a couple of seconds to remove more whey, then hang up the cheese in the cloth to let it drip for about two hours and cool.

If you want India Paneer, use the juice of one fresh lemon instead of vinegar, and be sure to cook it for a minute at the boiling point.

This works fine in camp, though you may want to suspend the chees & cloth inside a large covered pot to drain to keep bugs away.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post