Find
Notify
Tools

POLL: Order of Posts
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Linda Scurlock
posted
Hello, the 'Fire! Roundball has brought up the idea of reordering the posts in each forum so that the latest posts appear on the first page that opens when you choose a discussion and older posts appear in descending order down the page. Let me know what you think. If the majority agrees, I'll change the setup. If not, it will stay the same. Voting is open until next Friday.

Question:
Do you want the forum posts to appear in descending order, with the latest post appearing at the top of the first page that opens and earlier posts appearing in descending order down the page?

Choices:
Yes
No

Managing Editor
Scurlock Publishing

Posts: 698 | Location: Texarkana, Texas | Registered: 18 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
I appreciate your willingness to look into this...I updated my other thread with hopefully better clarification of what I was asking about.

It might turn out that simply reversing the order could also be aggravating, given that folks normally like to read the posts in the normal sequence they evolved, as a chronology, etc.
If the order was reversed, then the challenge would be to open a thread, then scroll / page down to the last post rememebered from the last visit, then start reading the new posts backwards up to the top.

So I guess the real goal would be to see if the forum software has the feature I was asking about and activating it...it seems to be a pretty standard feature on forum software in general, so I'd be surprised if it wasn't imbedded as part of this forum software somewhere...may well have to be something 'turned on' by a forum administrator, dunno.

Thanks for the effort in looking into it...

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of TurtleDave
posted Hide Post
Roundball if you click on the thread itself at the far right instead of the forum catagory at the left, it will take you to the last post in that thread.

Member #277 Mo. State Rep. for the Traditional Muzzleloading Association
"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue"

Posts: 381 | Location: Butler, Missouri | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
I understand that...but that's not the issue.

Example:
A thread gets started, accumulates several posts, I open it up, read the posts, close it and move on.

Two or three days later, I see that thread has new activity spanning several pages, so I open it up...and instead of starting me at what would be the next "unread post" for me, it starts me at the very beginning again.

If I do as you suggested, it'll simply take me all the way past the other pages of posts to the last post...then I'll have to backtrack through 2-3 pages to find where the first post is that I haven't read yet, and start reading forward from there to catch up on all the information that's been posted throughout the time since I was last in that thread.

The feature I'm referring to on other forums manages that...ie: if I've read 10 posts of what turned out to be a 50 post thread over several days...when I come back and open that thread days later, it starts me at post #11...my first unread post in that thread,

Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Roundball, I'm in several forums, and I've never seen one which opens at "first unread post." It might not be that easy.

And is it really that much of a hassle to scan for you're last entry and work from there, like I do?

Mrs. Scarhand

Posts: 226 | Location: Fort Hall, ID | Registered: 11 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scarhand:
Roundball, I'm in several forums, and I've never seen one which opens at "first unread post." It might not be that easy.
Don't know what to tell you, but I frequent several forums daily, and this is the only one that DOESN'T have that feature in operation...its why I asked about it.
quote:

And is it really that much of a hassle to scan for you're last entry and work from there, like I do?

Seems a strange question, and I won't bother commenting...

Hunt Like The Settlers

Booshway
Picture of Linda Scurlock
posted Hide Post
Hi, all, I have read the update to Roundball's original request and see now what he meant. Seems like a good feature and this board may have the ability, but I haven't found it yet. Since I started it and said it would be open till this Friday, the 16th, we'll continue the poll. In the meanwhile, I'll see if I can find out more about the feature Bill's requested. -Linda

Managing Editor
Scurlock Publishing

Posts: 698 | Location: Texarkana, Texas | Registered: 18 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Thank you Linda for allowing us to be part of the process.

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post