Find
Notify
Tools

New Forum Suggestions
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Linda Scurlock
posted
Hello the 'Fire! I've been thinking about a couple of new forums for a while and we would like the input of our friends at the 'Fire regarding these ideas.

To wit, I propose a forum devoted to legislative issues, i.e. 2nd amendment issues and hunting regulations, etc., as they relate to muzzleloading. I have no objection to the discussion of these topics within the other forums--just thought it might be a good idea to establish a forum specifically for that. Still going to have to keep it clean and civil, of course. The nature of politics being what it is gives me some pause here.

Second, I propose a photo gallery devoted to muzzleloaders who are serving our country in the armed forces. I would request that the photos posted show the service member in either their primitive gear or at least holding their muzzleloaders and so forth. We want to stay "on topic" but recognize how many of us black powder folks are serving and recognize them.

Comments? -Linda

Managing Editor
Scurlock Publishing

Posts: 698 | Location: Texarkana, Texas | Registered: 18 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Linda,
I think both could be great additions. You're right about keeping things civil in the "political" one, though. I got wrapped up in another site with the initials FF which is enjoyable in some ways, but the kids don't know how to play nicely. I mostly stay away except to check in occasionally. That could spoil this one. Maybe a forum oriented towards "here's what our state does, and here's what I'd like to see in the future" might be helpful. But how do you hold down the flames?

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Simple, don't go there.

I am a member of several forums, and I started on Revlist, and then on this site. Revlist has modern politics strictly verboten, and this list allows it as long as one ties it in with a specific discussion on the 18th century to the fur trade. There is the Traditional Muzzleloading Association
forum, which has a bit more room for politics, and there is Frontier Folk, which seems to be centered around the Ohio Valley reenactors and living historians, and they have a specific section labeled "the soapbox". I think the niche is covered and don't really see a need here.

As Dick mentioned, folks get really bent about certain topics, politics is one such topic, and don't let facts get in the way of their feelings (imho). If ya want to showcase armed forces guys and gals deployed who also do this pasttime, great! Maybe they can post TWO photos, them in uniform and them in "proper" black powder attire?

Leave the politics on the other forums, or the folks who have been banned or suspended there will simply come here, and the webmaster will have nothing but headaches.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Packdog
posted Hide Post
Linda,
I am a moderator on another board and a couple of years back we added a forum called "The Powder Room" for political post. Of the 11 forums we have....99% of our time is spent in the "Powder Room" or at least keeping an eye on things in the "powder Room". It is truely a powder keg. For some reason folks have a problem discussing politics and religion without it getting nasty.
quote:
Leave the politics on the other forums, or the folks who have been banned or suspended there will simply come here, and the webmaster will have nothing but headaches.

LC is also right about this. It took a while, but we now have folks that do not post or make any contributions in the normal forums posting in the "Powder Room" only. I will not even go into the trolls that found there way there and posted inflamatory remards which made our otherwise mild and conservative posters turn vicious.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Posts: 1534 | Location: Signal Mt, TN | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
The Military Web Great Idea,politics,PANDORAS BOX.Look at some of the discussions that have ben had on this site as it applies to Politics.Politics,NO! NO! BAD IDEA, IMMHO!!!!!

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE!!NO POLITICS! There are enough forums of ALL types for the politicos to have their say. Please leave the Campfire OUT of it! thanks, Stumpy

Posts: 93 | Location: Eastern Washington in the Scabrock | Registered: 12 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I aint big on reading others opinions on politics.. The military one sounds cool.

How about a forum on Historic Sights?
There are all kinds of museums and forts/ sights to visit that are based on the history we are intrested in. I would love to hear about what other people have in there back yards and can visit. This would be similiar to the buckskinning books, but may include new info on the ones already written about and new additions as well.

just a thought
buck

Posts: 282 | Location: south of the cache | Registered: 21 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Snakebite
posted Hide Post
I'm all for honoring our troops but like the others, I think your other suggestion would be opening a can of worms. Most people have made up their minds and will not listen to reason anyway (read people with different opinions than mine Razzer). Kinda like "I've made up my mind, don't try to confuse me with the facts."

This is a great site and I believe that that little voice you are hearing "giving you pause" should be heeded.

Keep looking up! (He's coming back)

Posts: 649 | Location: Along the Humboldt | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of BP Shooter
posted Hide Post
A BIG PLEASE!!!!!!!!!! No Politics and No Religion. I just recently quite another Forum because of the Political forum on that web , there were people on there that patroled the forums looking for arguments. One person had done it so much he had it down by the numbers in his attack on those who submitted topics.

Posts: 103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 18 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Ms. Linda I gotta agree with the mahjority of the fellas here. Leave the politics alone or that little guy on yer sholder whispering to ya "don't go there, don"t go there" will become a huge GORILLA on yer back. As to the suggestion of our military people "a GREAT BIG YES' to that one. And all the rest of the ex military can post some old photos of themselves if they want hee hee compare the snow on the roof today with the full head a hair of yesterday hee hee. That n Buck's suggestion is a good idea too. It would be interesting to see some photos n listings of different places folks have been or have in their back yards so to speak.. Take care n Merry Christmas YMHS Birdman

Posts: 964 | Location: south eastern Pa | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
i think the forum of historic sites would be a grrrreat addition.that way we can not only see what people reenact, but where they would call home in the 18th century, for example.this would also be a good way for up-and-coming historic sites to get a head start. i think this might go without saying, but a definite no on the politics forum. its beginning to seep into another website that i frequent aside from the Campfire.
YMHS

Posts: 128 | Location: NW Lower Michigan | Registered: 05 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I believe I'll have to go along with the others on the politics issue. Even though I started a thread about the idiotic goings-on in my state, the "P" word probably shouldn't have it's own home here. There're too many people out there who like argument for it's own sake, and don't care who they annoy or upset.
The other suggestions sound good to me, though.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Jersey(for now) | Registered: 24 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I just checked out one of the political sites on another forum. Oi Vey, definitely not a good thing!! I do like Art's idea of a section for historical sites. There are alot more of them than most of us know about that would fun to know about.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 27 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
DEAR MISS LINDA, PLEASE NO POLITICAL STUFF VERY BAD IDEA, BUT I DO LIKE THE MILITARY IDEA ALOT, ALSO THE IDEA ABOUT THE HISTORICAL SIGHTS ETC.
MAYBE A POSSIBLE PLACE FOR LISTING ANY AND ALL MOVIES PERTAINING TO MUZZLELOADING/BLACK POWDER AND SAID SAME FOR MUSIC EXAMPLE ( TEN TOUSAND DRUMS BY CARL SMITH)

Posts: 196 | Location: kenai peninsula alaska | Registered: 09 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I eat & breath 2 amendment politics.

No Politics and No Religion on this forum!

I left another ML forum over a year ago because I gave forum member's the chance to give an NRA Director their thoughts.
My offer was meet with one of the most ignorant excuses as to why one particular person was not going to leave a comment.
He did not want to register on the newspapers forum with his name and email; but yet he is on dang near every ML internet forum avaliable.
So everyone lost on that one incident.

=======================================

As for the military members photo Op. I agree to that.

Regards BPB

Posts: 84 | Registered: 03 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Linda Scurlock
posted Hide Post
Hey, guys, thanks for your input. We have definitely decided to skip the politics. I don't think anyone has had anything positive to say about such a forum.

As for the other two suggestions, I like the historic sites idea. And I also like the idea of recognizing our members who are in the military. The reason I haven't set up that one is a matter of trying to decide exactly how (forum or gallery) and what the guidelines for inclusion will be. We've tossed around a number of ideas, but nothing has really struck a chord at this point.

So don't worry; no politics! As for the rest, we're listening. -Linda

Managing Editor
Scurlock Publishing

Posts: 698 | Location: Texarkana, Texas | Registered: 18 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Careful what you say about those "FF" initials.
Respectfully, Frank Fusco

quote:
Originally posted by Dick:
Linda,
I think both could be great additions. You're right about keeping things civil in the "political" one, though. I got wrapped up in another site with the initials FF which is enjoyable in some ways, but the kids don't know how to play nicely. I mostly stay away except to check in occasionally. That could spoil this one. Maybe a forum oriented towards "here's what our state does, and here's what I'd like to see in the future" might be helpful. But how do you hold down the flames?

Dick

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I hadn't checked this thread until this a.m. The history of our country is intertwined with religion and politics. If we are going to talk American history, it can't be done without references to religion and politics. As suggested, maybe prohibit modern political debate only. Simplistic response, I know. Perhaps no easy approach except self-moderation and a watch by forum moderators.
Frank

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
There's a reason any board which shows the poor judgement to have a political or open discussion forum gives it a name like "The Cess Pool", "The Back Room" "The Outhouse", "The Bilge" or some such. It inevitably proves itself septic and that sooner than later.

I was a moderator on another forum and soon learned my most used skill was banning trolls in the cess pool forum. We soon discontinued that horror as the suppuration festering there infected the main boards. Simply put, it is not worth the grief.

Mentioning politics as it pertains to relevant history is one thing, discussing current politics is just bad Ju-Ju. Religion even more so.

A History forum with perhaps an organized State by State and Province by Province list of Historic Sites and Museums is a capital idea, there are some in every State and Province with most being small or out of the way and hard to learn about. A very good side effect is the availability of period artifacts to see in person and sometimes even to handle and photograph.

Three Hawks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Three Hawks,

Posts: 506 | Location: Puget Sound Area | Registered: 26 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
How about a READ ONLY Forum, Like letting readers have a heads up as to what their locals are getting ready to do TO/FOR us so we can contact out ELECTED representatives.That way the word would go out but there could be no responce posting,just read and react as approperate or necessary at the local level.
Examples,lead ban in CA,trapping in NJ/CA, bear/cat hunting CA/NJ.Get the word out to the masses.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post