New
Find
Notify
Tools
Honest question
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Given the current state of affairs in our country I would like to ask if each member of the Campfire would send a tea bag to each of their Senators and their respective member of the House. All I'm asking is that each member just drop a tea bag in an envelope and address it to their respective hired help in Washington. No return address needed. Just a tea bag sent to the hired help to remind them of where this country originated.

Vic

There is no right way to do a wrong thing

Posts: 272 | Location: Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 October 2008Report This Post
Graybeard
Picture of MedicineSoldier
posted Hide Post
Sharps4070,

Below are my thoughts regarding this idea, it is very similiar to my response I left on another forum where you brought this up.

I won't go into whether the idea is a good one or not or if it would do any good but I will share this.

This exact thing was done when someone sent a teabag to the local office of our State Representative. The employees there seeing a white package in an envelope with no return address called the local authorities and before it was all said and done it took a number of man hours and resources from local PD, FBI, EMS and FD including the HazMat Team to determine it was harmless. Cost for all that as well as keeping Emergency Responders tied up was hardly worth the message that the Representative never saw. As a member of the previously mentioned FD I have a little problem with anything that ties up Emergency resources that may needed for actual emergencies.

Sending it to the policians in Washington won't accomplish much either since they will probably never see the letter or get the message (figurativly or literally) as it will be destroyed by the Congressional mail service offices.

Medicine Soldier

Posts: 219 | Location: Black Hills of SD | Registered: 05 October 2006Report This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MedicineSoldier:
Sharps4070,

Below are my thoughts regarding this idea, it is very similiar to my response I left on another forum where you brought this up.

I won't go into whether the idea is a good one or not or if it would do any good but I will share this.

This exact thing was done when someone sent a teabag to the local office of our State Representative. The employees there seeing a white package in an envelope with no return address called the local authorities and before it was all said and done it took a number of man hours and resources from local PD, FBI, EMS and FD including the HazMat Team to determine it was harmless. Cost for all that as well as keeping Emergency Responders tied up was hardly worth the message that the Representative never saw. As a member of the previously mentioned FD I have a little problem with anything that ties up Emergency resources that may needed for actual emergencies.

Sending it to the policians in Washington won't accomplish much either since they will probably never see the letter or get the message (figurativly or literally) as it will be destroyed by the Congressional mail service offices.

Medicine Soldier

Well then, what do you suggest?

Three Hawks

Posts: 506 | Location: Puget Sound Area | Registered: 26 May 2008Report This Post
Graybeard
Picture of MedicineSoldier
posted Hide Post
Three Hawks,

Well I would suggest that if your going to bother to put together an envelope to send to Washington that you put a well worded letter stating your complaints to the way things are going and putting a return address on it so that it may actually get to them or at least their offices. Will it do any good? Quite likely not if the politician is already set in their ways of doing things but if you let them know that you will do everything you can to see they are not re-elected unless they help to change things it probably has a better chance then sending them an anonymous message that most of them wouldn't understand even if they received it. And it would be pretty easy to follow that up with an e-mail or many restating your thoughts.

If someone chooses to send the tea thinking it will do something, more power to them but then don't be disgusted or roll you eyes in wonder when you see the news reports that investigations of unknown substances being mailed to Congress members are going on and the only thing that comes out of it is sympathy for that politician because the media is making it out to be done by some sort of radical fringe group.

In my post I stated that "I won't go into whether the idea is a good one or not or if it would do any good but I will share this."

It appears by the end of my post I had done just what I said I wouldn't do. My apologies to all for that misleading statement because as you can see I did actually go into why I don't think it is a good idea.

Medicine Soldier

Posts: 219 | Location: Black Hills of SD | Registered: 05 October 2006Report This Post
Booshway
Picture of SCLoyalist
posted Hide Post
The 'new American tea party' idea is discussed and reviewed at some length on website snopes.com, which collects and researches rumors and urban legends. In addition to the false terrorism alarms, they mention a lumpy tea bag in an envelope might cause mechanical problems going through the mail sorting machines. If you're going to join in this symbolic protest, maybe just include the label from the tea, and a short note saying something like "In the spirit of the original Boston Tea Party, I enclose this teabag as a protest against the passage of further economic stimulus packages that yadda yadda yadda"

SCL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SCLoyalist,

Here's a health to the King and a lasting Peace. May Faction end and Wealth increase....Old Loyalist Ballad

Posts: 767 | Location: Panhandle Florida | Registered: 02 February 2008Report This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Well...maybe it wasn't a good idea given how stupid people are today. I write my Senators regularly and I'm just sick of the pat answers and no action. I was just trying to come up with some way to get their attention. That probably won't happen anyway as we have the best government money can buy.

Vic

There is no right way to do a wrong thing

Posts: 272 | Location: Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 October 2008Report This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Why not take a photo copy of a special event in History say like the signing of the Bill of Rights,resolution at Appomattox,some event that fits your concerns,then use that as your paper to send the letter.Just put the paper back in the printer and type your letter,be civil and to the point.If you send it with out a return address it will more likely as not be intercepted and never get to where you hope it would.Another means is right at your finger tips as we set,most representatives have E-Mail,use it. Even if it gets you nowhere you might feel better and you never know,there is hope.Letters to the Editor are a good tool.I find if when I send a letter and enclude the .C.C, like we learned in school,and list all the others you sent copies to,sometime you will get a responce.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Report This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Just my personal opinion..,

OK a few ideas. First, the tea bag will probably screw up the sorting machine, or such, correct. Photocopy of an old painting is a good idea..., but it supposes the dolts in the office who open the letter will recognize the image..., I doubt that.

Quick and simple, buy a box of tea, and cut off one of the sides that clearly labels what that is and send that in an envelope.

I have heard of something a bit more crafty..., If ya can get a prepaid return envelope from a politician's office that you disagree with on an issue, .., the kind that is used to ask for donations.... well those are paid for by WEIGHT. The United States Postal Service charges the originator by the weight of the parcel/letter. So for folks asking for a check or money order it's not a big fee for each donation, but what if you sent them something heavy?

See they agree to pay the postage for the weight, period, there is no exception if they get something back they didn't expect.

So take a normal red brick I've been told. Safe, secure, non-hazardous waste material. Legal to ship anywhere. Wrap the brick in brown paper like any other package, and cut the face off the pre-paid envelope, and tape it to the "package" to make a label. Clearly write on the package on all four sides, "one red brick". (You could always take a photocopy of a box of tea and include it inside the package with the brick). When done take it to the post office and put it in the bin. 1000 donations weighs a bit, 1000 bricks would cost lots of money and drain campaign funds. Plus they have to dispose of the bricks. If a million voting Americans each sent one brick..., that might get a message across.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Report This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I agree with MedicineSoldier. In the present climate the boys in charge would think the paranoids were at it again. Never forget, our government views US as a threat! Yep, you and me, whether or not we own a gun. Besides the gesture would be lost on those knuckle draggers.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Report This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Ya gotta like the brick idea though... Big Grin

Spot

Posts: 849 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 11 June 2007Report This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I'd like to "send" a brick to some congressmen too but unfortunayely doing it by mail only hurts us not them. Remember they have "franking privileges" so they are not charged for mail, the costs get passed on and WE get to pay for it when we buy our stamps. You'd think they'd get busted under the RICO act huh?

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 27 August 2008Report This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I'd LOVE to send them a LOAD of bricks airmail drop without a parachute. But $0.25 brick isn't worth a $0.025 government pimp! So far I've stuck to written letters, phone calls and emails. I'm sure they ignore those just fine with the help of their "aids". Still, other than the ballot box it's our only option. I suggest Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" as required reading.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3559 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Report This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Think you were upset four days ago?
Today's news about the multi-trillion budget/debt will send thinking people over the edge. I almost feel guilty that we had children, and now, grandchildren. Look what we are leaving them. Brush up on your primitive skills, spirling inflation may force us to use them for survival.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Report This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
If everyone sent a brick our hired help in DC would hire someone to build them a big Brick mansion somewhere and charge the labor to the Citizens.Even if we vote them out they get RETIREMENT/pay for life along with Health Care.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons I really like this little board is that there is very little politics on it. Personally, I like to keep my hobbies separate from politics and religion because the first is something I enjoy, the second is something I don't enjoy but that I have to deal with, and the third is something I consider private.

Sean

Posts: 744 | Location: Comancheria | Registered: 01 December 2004Report This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Interesting point, though the country was founded due to a tax revolt, as a result of a protest followed by a military response. The dumping of the tea in Boston Harbor led to the Royal Navy blockade of that harbor, which later led to L & C. Lexington and Concord were the result of the British attempting to steal privately owned ammunition and powder to prevent armed resistance to possible future military actions. And as they say..., the rest is "history".

Actually in this day and age if folks just crashed twitter and congressional emails by flooding the place with images of the Boston Tea party that would probably cause enough attention on the subject.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Report This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
LD: I love the idea. I will be at a ;Tea Party' ralley on April 15th at the State Capital bldg, I think I'll talk to others there about it. Strength in numbers

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 27 August 2008Report This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive.It will often be exercised when wrong,but better so than not to be at all.
THOMAS JEFFERSON