Notify
Tools

Campfire Closing on Feb. 13
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Rusty51
What general part of Alberta are you living? I am in the Peace River region.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Roundball, You have brought something up that I did not think about. I am currently using Google Chrome as my browser. I have Firefox and tried it and it works OK as well.
As far as the sidebar curser to scroll up and down the registration page. I thought this was an issue as well. You are signed up so it will no longer be an issue. You may not even be able to go to this page again once you are signed up but for those that are having this issue. IF you take your curser (ARROW) and go slowly over the side of the web page, where your scroll control will usually show up, it will appear as a "NARROW", that is an important word, "VERY NARROW", no make that EXTREMELY NARROW""BLACK BAR".
It will allow you to scroll down and fill in the sections required to register.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PJC,

Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology
http://americanlonghunter.com

Posts: 71 | Registered: 22 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post

I "THINK" I might have figured something out regarding sign up problems. I tried to sign somebody up last night and was having the same issue he was. That is continuously being prompted to sign up "AGAIN!" The problem was in the HUMAN verification form. This is used to prevent SPAM and VIRUS registration. This way a person has to fill it out and not done 10,000 times by some piece of software. When you go to fill in the answer, you have to enter the phrase exactly as they want. I have seen two different ways. ONE is to select the phrase from a drop down menu. TWO is to enter the EXACT answer to the question that they have provided in the widow with the question. If anyone is still having an issue with the sign up, they can send me their E-MAIL and their NAME and BIRTHDAY and THE FORUM NAME they want and I will try and sign them up. When I do they do, I will send them a temp password and they will receive an email that they must open and confirm their registration by clicking on a webpage address. Then they can go to the forum and make any changes they want to, including selecting a new password.

Pat Cameron

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PJC,

Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology
http://americanlonghunter.com

Posts: 71 | Registered: 22 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of bangfxr
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to here that this site will be closing. I have enjoyed some of the posts and shared information. I trust that the Lord will watch over you and guide you all down safe trails.
Your Obedient Servant to History
an old Irish Veteran.

Families sleep peaceably in their beds at night as there are rough men about who will do violence in their behalf.

Posts: 48 | Location: Indianapolis. | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
I must say as well that I am very sorry to see us all leave this campfire. I've learned tons and enjoyed so many stories. May the Lord be good to ya'll and remember to watch yer top knot.
Matthew V

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
I'm sure most of you understand the relationship better than I do...but I'm puzzled at the fact that the MUZZLELOADER magazine was taken over by someone else, but the CAMPFIRE didn't go with it.

I have always had the feeling that the two were very connected / related and thinking about this, I now wonder if the magazine itself might gradually start losing readership over time after the CAMPFIRE disappears.

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I'm with you on that RB why didn't the new owners just continue with the Campfire.

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
As a long time reader of Muzzleloader and a short time follower of The Campfire I will miss the Campfire. I however fail to see where the extinguishing of the fire will effect my subscription. It is up to us to offer encouragement to the new publisher if we want to see the magazine continue. Also I firmly believe that the recent decisions made by Linda and Bill were not made without a great deal of thought and reservations. It's not all about us, let's help make the changes work.

Posts: 37 | Location: Vassalboro, Maine | Registered: 21 November 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Jerolmon:
As a long time reader of Muzzleloader and a short time follower of The Campfire I will miss the Campfire. I however fail to see where the extinguishing of the fire will effect my subscription. It is up to us to offer encouragement to the new publisher if we want to see the magazine continue. Also I firmly believe that the recent decisions made by Linda and Bill were not made without a great deal of thought and reservations. It's not all about us, let's help make the changes work.

Your post made me chuckle...thanks
Big Grin

Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
One of the earlier postings ( Linda I think) wrote about Cost to keep the sight open/up and the trimming of the cost to do business..Would be great if the new owners see it as a great investment vice a cost to do business.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
Agree...and speaking only for myself, to be honest neither the Muzzleloader Magazine nor the Campfire by themselves were a total satisfier to me...my satisfaction came from what I got out of my perception of the combination of both Muzzleloader & Campfire together, the interplay that sometimes surfaced here, etc. I'd already recently renewed by subscription to the magazine but with the Campfire going away, I may not bother with it again in the future.

Hunt Like The Settlers

Booshway
Picture of Deercop
posted Hide Post
Considering the link between "Muzzleloader Magazine" and "The Campfire", I think it says a lot that the new owners never stopped by here to introduce themselves.
Curious to see what happens to the magazine. If it just fills up with ads, I'll be gone too. Been a subscriber since 1976.

Lots of really useful information archived here. Shame to see it lost...

Posts: 649 | Location: Clovis, New Mexico | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Got to go with RB on this one,,,Magazine comes out every other month,,Capmfire is always here to fill in with,personal and subject ready....take and give.
Deercop makes a good point,,,,Bill and Linda tell us the Camp Fire is going away,,where are the new owners??? The "new" owners bought the Magazine not the Camp Fire,, In all fairness,if we read the first posting from Linda,They were keeping part of the business and selling the rest ,,I wonder if the part they were keeping and decided to drop,Camp Fire, has ever been offered to the new owners???? Doesnt make sence to have one and not the other,especially with the interest in keeping it going.....
I use to subscribed to another BP mag,sent in the "once in a life time good offer on renewing",$50.00 for five years,,,,got one issue and they folded,,,Havn't subscribed to any another mags,,,,buy them off the shelf or go without. Well we have 14 days to the last tent is folded and we reclaim the mountains,,good luck to all,habits will get you scalped,,silk hats will never catch on,the beaver will be back and shining times will be had,,,See you at Point a la Barbe....
It's 1840 all over again,,,,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Walking Crow,

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Walna, fellas,

Jason did drop by to introduce himself back when Bill and Linda announced the sale of MUZZELOADER.

He basically said he had a high standard to follow; that he was excited about the blending of ON THE TRAIL magazine with MUZZLELOADER, adding new features, introducing new writers, and continuing the excellent efforts of Scurlock Publishing.

When I talked to Linda back when, she indicated that she and Bill wanted to keep the CAMPFIRE so that they still had a connection with their rondy/events friends and former subscribers. Since the CAMPFIRE was so closely related to Scurlock Publishing, this made sense. However, since then finances and life changes has caused them to re-think their commitment to the CAMPFIRE.

Also, because Jason already has had a forum for a very long time, which is titled HistoricalTrekking.com, and is/was identified with ON THE TRAIL magazine; perhaps he didn't want to lose that identity connection or have the time or inclination to take on moderating another forum.

All said and done, had I the time, energy and effort to take on the CAMPFIRE from Scurlock Publishing, I would do so. I do applaud Pat's effort with his forum to provide a place for us to venture to and continue our online friendships of sharing, kidding, and teaching.

The onliest thing I would have done different is to name the forum American Frontiersmen rather than American Longhunters. But, that is a small point and is of no great matter.

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Crossfox I missed the introduction somehow,Could you direct me to it so I can meet the new owners.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hiya Walking Crow!

'Must be suffering from "old-timers" as I was sure Jason's post was in the "Note From The Publisher" thread when Bill announced the sale. I checked a couple of other ones also, and couldn't find it. I was going to check his historicaltrekking.com site but am having trouble loading it. Will try again later.

Hopefully I aint mixing up apples & oranges, as I do remember reading the......I wonder!?! could I have read it in the first MUZZLELOADER magazine that Jason published? Now I gotta try to remember where I put that issue to check it out.

I hadn't THOUGHT my memory was failing, but now I'm beginin' to doubt that!

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Crossfox could be in the Magazine,havnt gotten one lately,,,, If the new guy see the interest on this site it might be the differance!!!
Sure hope the planned marrage between the two Magazines works out....

Booshway
Picture of SCLoyalist
posted Hide Post
Don't feel bad Crossfox, I remembered it the same way you did and can't find it either. Maybe it was printed in the first Muzzleloader issue with Jason G. at the helm. Anyway, if you go to www.onthetrail.com, there's Jason's announcement of the last issue of OTT so he can devote full energy to Muzzleloader. There are also Facebook pages for both On the Trail and Muzzleloader magazine.

It would be nice if somehow Campfire could be archived as 'read only' so that old posts could be searched for and pulled up. There were several times the search function turned up useful 'how-to' info for gun repair issues that had come up.

SCL

Here's a health to the King and a lasting Peace. May Faction end and Wealth increase....Old Loyalist Ballad

Posts: 767 | Location: Panhandle Florida | Registered: 02 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
SCL tried the Web site you listed,,no joy,reads "not available" perplexed Iam,Iam...

Booshway
Picture of SCLoyalist
posted Hide Post
Crow, I'm perplexed, too. I clicked on the link and it told me that it "Can't find www.onthetrail.com Did you mean www.onthetrail.com?" and when I
clicked that, it took me there.

Anyway, it's there, and looks something like this:

but I'll be danged if I can tell you how to get there. Good luck, SCL

Here's a health to the King and a lasting Peace. May Faction end and Wealth increase....Old Loyalist Ballad

Posts: 767 | Location: Panhandle Florida | Registered: 02 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post