New
Find
Notify
Tools

Campfire Closing on Feb. 13
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I'm real sorry to hear this. This is the ONLY forum that I've found that I like. Everyone is nice and civil here. There is none of the squabbling that I've experienced on other sites. Guess I'm done with talk forums. Frowner

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Iam a little slow,,,are you/is the Campfire going away or just changing Booshways???

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Walking Crow:
"...is the Campfire going away..."
Yes...in 20 days

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Ok that being the future,,how about anyone who is/was/.will go/going to another site list it....if that is ok with Bill and Linda. I was on some other sites and narrowed it down to this on,,some I left and some,, was thrown off others,"Honesty is A best policy" ,,unless you challange one of the favorite sons or one of the chosen "Experts",

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Walking Crow:
"Honesty is A best policy" ,,unless you challange one of the favorite sons or one of the chosen "Experts",
Unfortunately, that's been my experience as well...there aren't all that many other halfway decent 'traditionally oriented sites' sites...and most of them have become "social center sites" for several who seem to feel a need to display some lordship over others choices or techniques, etc. Others are smaller and very clique-ish.

This is just a hobby to me...its not my life...and I liked the more quiet / neutral tone of the Campfire...check in, make a post now and then, etc.

Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
Linda, if you're checking in occasionally...have a question:
Since the site is already here and running, is there any possibility it could go through a name-change to break its affiliation with the past...and be made available to be handed off to a couple folks who might step forward to assume responsibility for such a site?

Hunt Like The Settlers

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Soounds like a great idea there, retired Roundball!
León
PS. possible without a break in continuity?

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Miz Linda..Just a note to say thank You!..All the best.....Dan

Posts: 122 | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Night Owl
posted Hide Post
Where to go now is the question! Eeker

Posts: 265 | Location: Upper Peninsula of Michigan | Registered: 03 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roundball:
Linda, if you're checking in occasionally...have a question:
Since the site is already here and running, is there any possibility it could go through a name-change to break its affiliation with the past...and be made available to be handed off to a couple folks who might step forward to assume responsibility for such a site?

I think you should take it over Roundball!

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
LOL...I wish somebody would...it's already established, debugged, stable, etc.
Whoever took it over would probably need to get some sidebar advertising going to pay for the monthly costs as there would no longer be any business association with Scurlock Publishing, Muzzleloader Magazine, etc.

Hunt Like The Settlers

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I did look into it a bit on my own.
If you look at the bottom of this page you
will see where it says "powered by Social Strata"
If you click on that you can go to their pricing.
The basic standard is $199.00 per month. Almost $2400.00 per year.
Or you can click here to see their pricing.
I did, just now find another option on their page that is $159.00 per month.

http://www.hoop.la/plans.php

With that in mind, I found a forum that is FREE.
It is a compact basic forum that has all the features that would be needed. A very few guys have signed up by invitation to test it out and it looked like it was working OK yesterday.

The way I see it, We have three options.
1. do nothing and we will achieve the appropriate results.
2. Assume ownership of this forum with the permission of the Scurlock's
3. Use this opportunity to create something new with the same group of people that have made this forum such a success.

Pat Cameron

PJC

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PJC,

Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology
http://americanlonghunter.com

Posts: 71 | Registered: 22 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of andy*
posted Hide Post
Very sad news to hear that the campfire is going out.
I love to relax here after a long hard days work.
I have enjoyed my time here with everyone.
A new forum, with the same people ,would be great, thank you Pat for looking into what we can do...or where we can go.
Andy

Follow me I am the Infantry

Posts: 668 | Location: Everson, Washington | Registered: 27 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys. All I have in this so far is a little bit of time. I am open to other suggestions but time is short, so I went ahead to explore what I thought was the best option.

The address is

http://americanlonghunter.lefora.com

Have a look and sign up if you want to take it for a ride.

Pat

Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I have just changed the security settings to allow people to visit and check it out.

Everyone: If this option is chosen, my community will be open to the public. Everybody including non-registered users will be able to view my community home page. Users will still need to register to post.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill and Linda for the longtime flame of this 'Fire. I've really enjoyed my many years here. May you enjoy any new path you choose to follow.

Fiddlesticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Thank you Bill and Linda. Rancocas, I'm with you, this is the only forum I like. PJC, Haven't tried americanlonghunter yet. Thank you for your efforts and I'm hoping for the best.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deercop
posted Hide Post
Gonna miss "The Campfire", and all my friends here. Gotten the chance to meet some of you over the years, including Bill and Linda when my wife and I stopped by while passing through Texarkana a coupla years ago.
Shame to lose the site..lots of really good information archived here..

Posts: 649 | Location: Clovis, New Mexico | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PJC:
I have just changed the security settings to allow people to visit and check it out.

Everyone: If this option is chosen, my community will be open to the public. Everybody including non-registered users will be able to view my community home page. Users will still need to register to post.

I'm having a real difficult time navigation around that site. After a couple of trys it appears that I finally got registered. I made one post, but it came out all askew for some reason and then I couldn't get back to the forum menu.
Maybe it's just me. I'm a real dunce when it comes to anything electronic, especially these computin' machines.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PJC:
Hey Guys. All I have in this so far is a little bit of time. I am open to other suggestions but time is short, so I went ahead to explore what I thought was the best option.

The address is

http://americanlonghunter.lefora.com

Have a look and sign up if you want to take it for a ride.

Pat

Just joined!

Posts: 214 | Location: Big Arm Montana | Registered: 17 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post