Notify
Tools

Campfire Closing on Feb. 13
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Linda Scurlock
posted
Hello the 'Fire!

As many of you are aware, last March, Bill sold our magazine, Muzzleloader, to Jason Gatliff of Historical Enterprises. Bill's plan afterward was to focus on publishing books related to our field. So many wonderful ideas and manuscripts have crossed his desk over the years, and finally we would have the opportunity to focus on those projects.

However, in April some family matters intervened and he spent several months dealing with those issues, giving him some time to think. The longer he thought about it the more he realized that he was ready to do something that didn't involve sitting behind a desk in front of a computer every day.

So he began to make plans to close up shop here at Scurlock Publishing, selling the rights to our books and the inventory we had on hand. The book Flintlock Fowler by Tom Grinslade was purchased by Crazy Crow Trading Post, but the rest of our books were purchased by Jason Gatliff. I expect subscribers of Muzzleloader will see ads to that effect in the next issue, the March/April.

So the time has come for us to take down the Campfire. I won't say that we're "putting out" the fire, because I'm sure those of you active here will find a new campfire around which to share and learn. It's been wonderful to get to know all of you and read your stories and see the things you've made. We always knew you were a bunch of interesting people! Good luck to all of you, and God bless you in your future endeavors. Linda and Bill

P.S. We're not giving up muzzleloading, so when you see us camped at an event, come by and say hello--and share our "real" campfire!

Managing Editor
Scurlock Publishing

Posts: 698 | Location: Texarkana, Texas | Registered: 18 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Looks like the last Rondezvou!!!End of shining times,, wonder if this is how the Free Trappers felt back in 1840.Been a good ride and adventure
Bill and Linda you take good care of one another,,see you up the trail or at Point a la Barbe.
Last one leaving,put the fire out, scatter the ashes, brush out your tracks and dont all leave by the same path.

Walk tall as the trees,live strong as the mountains,be gentle as the spring winds,keep the warmth of the summer in your heart,and the Great Spirit will always be with you.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Linda we sure going to miss you and Bill and the campfire. Good luck on your future endeavors......B Staley.......Frowner

The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you get home.

Posts: 959 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
Hate to see it and you guys go...but life has to go on...good luck to you both !

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I have visited and participated in most of the related forums on the internet. I pretty much had decided that this was the best one. I had stopped visiting most of the others and recently deleted the rest from my bookmarks. I have often thought of and even done some preliminary work on something called longrifles and campfires. But this forum was so close to what I was looking for and it already had a pretty good bunch of guys so I did not pursue it very vigorously. If I thought there was support for a forum that catered to those serious about hunting with longrifles and the associated bushcraft and fun that goes hand in hand with spending a lot of time in the woods, I would try and get something started.

Pat Cameron

Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology
http://americanlonghunter.com

Posts: 71 | Registered: 22 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Wow, I'm real sorry to hear this, I've been pretty scarce the last few months with family obligations, but I will miss this place, good people.

Best of luck in the future to you and yours.

Jared

Posts: 207 | Location: The Folle Avoine | Registered: 19 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of dances with mules
posted Hide Post
Hi, I too will miss the Campfire. I've picked up a lot of good tips and advice over the years. If PJC or any others could get a similar 'campfire' going that would be wonderful. Best of luck to the Scurlocks for their future endeavors.

Posts: 16 | Registered: 11 October 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Really sorry to hear this. I was absent from the Fire for a little over 3 years and coming back was like a reunion with old friends. Looked forward every day to reading and posting. Thanks for the wonderful Board for all these years and the best to you in the future. I'll dearly miss the Fire and all the friends that I have made over this time.

Grieving Rupe

Posts: 467 | Location: NW Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Wow, not really sure what to say. Best of luck Bill and Linda, this site will be missed.
I am sure if someone were to start up a similar site, by that I mean with good people attending and not the type that fling insults and hide behind their keyboard, I would join in a heartbeat. Let me know if one exists please.
See ya'll around. I will keep my cup handy.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linda Scurlock:
Hello the 'Fire!

PS:
Linda...does this also mean that the initial work someone else was starting to do for a new designed forum is completely dead as well?

http://036f35c.netsolhost.com/phpbb1/

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I am working on something called
"AMERICAN LONGHUNTERS",
"an independent rugged american spirit".

americanlonghunters.com

Mostly just a forum but with room for photo and video that anyone might like to submit. I already owned the name americanlonghunters.com but have to wait for a transfer number to get it to the right hosting service.

I realize I am taking liberties by posting this here but with only a couple of weeks to get it up and running.

I am shooting for a place where modern day longhunters can share their adventures with like
minded people in a positive manner.

I think my posts and comments on the various boards over the past several years would reflect
the type of content I hope to see.

Pat Cameron
aka PJC
aka Huckleberry

Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology
http://americanlonghunter.com

Posts: 71 | Registered: 22 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Wow, Linda,
End of an era.
I have remained connected with many persons while living here in México thru this campfire. Guess I will have to make more of an individual effort.
Sure am sorry to see this go.
But I would not hold you back from going on to more interesting adventures. May God bless you in your next endeavour.
I sure did have a lot of fun here.
Thanks for making all that possible.
I got published the first and only time in my life at Muzzleloader Magazine. Thanks again.
León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Woodyrock
posted Hide Post
Well ****. I have just come back to front stuffers after a long hiatus of letting a career get in the way of pleasure, and was getting very comfortable with this group. This Campfire will be missed.
Woody

Posts: 36 | Location: Wet side of Warshington | Registered: 30 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
A wise person once said, "Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life'. So if it's not fun anymore, then it's time to go. I've been here a little less than 10 years, and I will miss everybody. Here's wishing the folks on the admin side of the screens fair weather and pleasant times. Big Grin

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<mtnmike>
posted
This I do not like,but you have to do what you do.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of TurtleDave
posted Hide Post
this was the first muzzleloading site I joined nearly ten years ago,sure going to miss it. thanks for putting up with all of us and good luck in your new endeavors.

Member #277 Mo. State Rep. for the Traditional Muzzleloading Association
"The reason a dog has so many friends,He wags his tail instead of his tongue"

Posts: 381 | Location: Butler, Missouri | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Linda,I too am going to miss Campfire. I have learned so much from all of you and hope we can gather again at another site.
Cheers,
Axe

Posts: 48 | Registered: 20 April 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Linda Scurlock
posted Hide Post
Roundball, yes, the work on the other forum ceased in November when Bill sold all of the books and our operation here effectively was ending. To explain to the rest of you, we were planning to move the Campfire to a free forum with more storage, streamlining our expenses in anticipation of our new, leaner operation and allowing the forum to grow. We had previewed the new forum to a few old-time members for feedback, hence how Roundball came to know about it. -Linda

Managing Editor
Scurlock Publishing

Posts: 698 | Location: Texarkana, Texas | Registered: 18 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Walna, thet's damp powder 'n' no way ta dry it!

The CAMPFIRE has enjoyed a long run and we thought it would never end, but in the jargon of the Mountain Men, "A heap of fat meat can't last forever."

The CAMPFIRE has provided many hours of education, idea swapping, entertainment, advice, admiration, and camaraderie to all that have gathered here. Thank you for providing a good and well liked gathering place for us to share. We will all sorely miss it.

Here's wishing you both well, Linda and Bill, and continued success in all your future endeavors.

Keep an eye to the ridgeline......'n' watch fer a glimmer of flames at a campfire where we'll gather agin!

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Well, I certainly will miss this Campfire! I gave up on one other site fairly quickly, but always found a stump to sit on around this fire.
The plains people used to say, "Nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky." ("Kansas" didn't make that up!) Best wishes as you explore new paths.

Dick W.

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post