Notify
Tools

Note from the Publisher
 Login/Join

"Publisher"
Greenhorn
posted
Hello the CAMPFIRE!
Linda and I want to let you loyal followers and contributors to the CAMPFIRE know the latest news. MUZZLELOADER has been sold to Jason Gatliff owner of Historical Enterprises, LLC, in Gallatin, Tennessee. Jason is a long-time subscriber to MUZZLELOADER and has been the publisher of ON THE TRAIL magazine since 2000. We closed the deal on March 1st, and the next issue (May/June) will be Jason’s.
As you know, the Scurlock family has been publishing MUZZLELOADER since 1974. It has been a remarkable ride and a real blessing to be able to make a living while serving the many subscribers and advertisers. I thank each of you who helped make that possible.
The last few years, I have been thinking a lot about the continuity of MUZZLELOADER. We did not want to publish for as long as we could, and then just walk away, as has happened with some periodicals. MUZZLELOADER is too important to the readers and to the advertisers not to make long-range plans. Our sons, Justin and Jacob, love muzzleloading, reenacting and the people associated with it. However, neither of them has a keen interest in publishing as a way to make a living. They are charting their own paths.
Linda and I have become friends with Jason and Janna Gatliff over the last few years and feel like the magazine is in good hands. Their relative youth and enthusiasm will be a big plus for the magazine. Jason intends to keep MUZZLELOADER much the same in outlook and scope. The notable change that is coming is that it with be printed in color throughout, so the image reproduction quality will be better. That is an upgrade I look forward to.
I’m excited about the future of MUZZLELOADER and about the changes in our lives. This is not retirement for us. Scurlock Publishing will continue to publish and sell historical books for the lifestyle that we all love. Linda and I will also be working on some other projects, both local and more wide-ranging. I plan to make many more muzzleloading events in the years ahead and look forward to seeing you there.
Bill & Linda Scurlock

Posts: 15 | Location: Texarkana, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
I wish you & Linda all the best in the future...

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
It's the end of an epoch! Best wishes to the Scurlocks in their future endeavors. Welcome and best wishes to the Gatliffs. "The only thing in nature that remains constant is change".

"Any day you wake up on the right side of the dirt is a good day"

Posts: 428 | Location: Northwestern California | Registered: 05 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Sage Rider
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!!! I am sure the quality will remain with Jason and crew!!! This is historic and look forward to the next issue!!!! Thanks for everything you guys have done for us over the years!!!! Jim

"Don't Retreat, just reload"

Posts: 411 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of sawbones
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your years of service to the Magazine and our lifestyle! Muzzleloader is by far my most favorite magazine, you guys have done a great job. I feel confident in who you guys have chosen as your successor... "On the trail" is a good magazine as well. Thanks again

Never flinch

Posts: 524 | Location: Surprise Valley, California/Nevada | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of sawbones
posted Hide Post
Aint it wierd Sage Rider that our photos were taken on the same day, almost in the same location, and I think with the same camera?

Never flinch

Posts: 524 | Location: Surprise Valley, California/Nevada | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Sage Rider
posted Hide Post
Sawbones, You are right!!!! Those were the days!!!

"Don't Retreat, just reload"

Posts: 411 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Congrats Bill and Linda, best wishes.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Good luck folks, and thanks for all your hard work.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deercop
posted Hide Post
Bill and Linda, congratulations!

Posts: 649 | Location: Clovis, New Mexico | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Bill & Linda,
Good luck and congratulations. Please keep in touch with this bunch of misfits.

I will not trade freedom or dignity for a handout.

Posts: 27 | Location: Colorados High Country | Registered: 03 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Bill & Linda, from Scarhand and his wife. Smiler

Scarhand

Posts: 226 | Location: Fort Hall, ID | Registered: 11 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Talltree
posted Hide Post
Best wishes for your future. Linda & Bill it's been a great journey and I personaly appreciate that I was able to travel with you both through it all. Your like a family member to me, even though we have never personaly met.

Go in God my friends.

John D. "Talltree" Adair

Posts: 173 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Bill and Linda.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Hiya Linda & Bill!

Walna, iffen thet aint some! It's been a long ride full of adventure fer shor 'n' sartain! Shinin' times fer all thet have enjoyed MUZZLELOADER under your guidance.

Here's wishing you well with your future endeavors that follows where your stick floats.

Best wishes!

Keep an eye to the ridgeline......'n' yor quills 'n' inkwell handy, tha itch might git ya agin!

Regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
All the best, Linda and Bill! You've improved the magazine every year. Here's hoping that continues.

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill for eveything.
Tom Black

Posts: 63 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 14 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Pvt. Potts
posted Hide Post
Bill and Linda,
Congratulations! Enjoy your time and thanks for all you've done for us.
Pvt. Potts

"I sometimes wonder if the world is run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it?."

Posts: 176 | Location: The Wilds of Central Iowa | Registered: 20 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Mike/MO
posted Hide Post
There comes a time when change is the right choice.

Thanks, Bill for all your years as publisher. Jason is committed to putting out a high quality magazine.

Who will have the CAMPFIRE?

Mike/MO

Posts: 356 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: 24 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Best of luck and best regards to all involved. Rockerhound

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post