MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Webmaster    Dealing With Spammers and Telemarketers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dealing With Spammers and Telemarketers
 Login/Join

Factor
posted
Dear Folks, this forum has been spammed. OK so we blocked this yahoo, for now. Rather than make our new members jump through hoops, to discourage these people, here are some actual ways of getting back at them. BTW I am on a few other forums and lists, and we get hit there more often than here,..

Spammers that market stuff..., go to the website, send them an email and tell them not only are you upset that they spammed your forum (don't mention the forum), tell them that you will never buy from their company, AND that you intend to tell everyone you know online to boycott their company.

Now several of us doing this, they will ignore..., several hundred of us doing this, will clog their email system.

The website also has a phone number. So if several hundred of us call that number over the next 7 days, demanding to talk to the person in charge, and registering our intent to not buy, and to advise our numerous online buddies to also not buy..., all due to spamming by James717 this will clog their phone system blocking phone orders. Only call once to avoid "telephone misuse".

When they say "We didn't do it; we simply hired and ad company to help us out" DON'T let them off the hook. Remind them they had the obligation to require the outsourced company to abstain from spamming.
Email:
hello@gearfresh.com
and
gearfresh@gmail.com

And call 917-463-4273

When it comes to telemarketers (if you have time), don't just hang up on the recording! Let it run, as this takes time from their computer, and when done, press the button for more information. When the human comes on the line, tell them you don't appreciate recorded messages, and you want to talk to the supervisor. The longer you stay on their line the less business they will conduct. Again, one or two of us, no results, but several thousand of us doing this (share this telephone idea with friends) and they will be so tied up with irate people, they may change their tune.

Just a thought.

LD

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Loyalist Dave,

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Linda Scurlock
posted Hide Post
Great suggestions, Dave! Thanks for your support. -Linda

Managing Editor
Scurlock Publishing

Posts: 698 | Location: Texarkana, Texas | Registered: 18 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
L/D I like it.Just wish I knew when they were setting down to supper.Maybe to avoid the Phone Misuse,call once but have all the adults at your home speak to them,slowly and ask questions, one after the other.I like it.
When they call my house who ever answers it says,"Hold on I'll go get my dad" then we just lay the phone down and go about our business,amazing how long some will hold before they figure it out or get tired.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I always liked the Seinfeld method of dealing with telemarketers:

"I'm sorta busy right now, give me your home number and I'll call you back later."
[pause]
"Oh, you don't want me to call you at home? Well then you know how I feel!"
[hangs up]
Big Grin
Spot

Posts: 849 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 11 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
OK but the recordings wait for a human voice, so put the phone down ifo the TV and walk away. It will at least make the machine play the whole stupid commercial over the phone.

LD

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Some years ago a friend of mine, an attorney of Messican Heritage, was wakened in the night by a jerk named Bill Collector.

Bill was trying to collect a debt owed by said friend's secretary, also of Messican Heritage, his daughter in point of fact. Friend asked who Bill worked for, then in the AM had his sec'y find the Honcho Grande el Supremo of Bill's employer. Turns out it was the Pres/CEO of a Major Noo Yawk f'in City bank. Having mad lawyer skilz and a serious Messican mad on, Friend and Sec'y. searched and found Pres/CEO's home Ph#. Friend called Pres/CEO in bed (very likely with trophy wife and/or mistress) at 0-dark:30 sharp the very next Saturday AM to have a friendly rambling conversation culminating with queries about appropriate telephone etiquette and the business practices of his employee, Bill Collector, scion of the Pioneer Seattle Collectors.

To make a long story interminable, Pres/CEO was upset. VERY upset, so instructed his innumerable minions to begin Monday AM to dig to the bottom of the prollem. Prollem was a small company, Collector Enterprises, LLC dba Idjits of Seattle Inc., which Pres/CEO's Co. had unknowingly acquired in the buy-out of another Co. Pres/CEO had Collector Enterprises LLC shut down immediamente. He also forgave Friend's Secy's debt. There is more to this story, but this is the pertinant portion.

Sometimes knowing just how to put the right size pebble in a Pres./CEO's shoe can be effective as well as quite a lot of fun.

Three Hawks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Three Hawks,

Posts: 506 | Location: Puget Sound Area | Registered: 26 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I have a second phone line I use for my pc,and only outgoing calls. I've had the # for 15 years. during the first few days of each month, I get calls from bill collectors looking for the family that had the number 15 years ago.
For a while, I'd explain politely. When I began to get aggressive further calls trying to trap me into being the guy they wanted, I decided to get some fun out of it. I answer in my best sullen mountain accent: when they ask for "Vanessa" I say something like, "well, if you know her well enough to call her by her first name, you know she's doing 3 to 7 in Craggy" 'Craggy"..."yep..Craggy Womens Correctional...she got it for stabbing that gal in the bar..." Occasionally, I have Vanessa involved in a riot at "Craggy" (there is no such place), and have her time extended to 10-15.. I've been toying with killing her off in a riot...but I'll miss her. In spite of the privacy guarantees, I know a lot about these folks...that it was an unpaid student loan, the town they lived in, the current balance, and so on..I've been thinking of offering to pay if they'll just tell me how much and where to mail the check...won't matter, this account gets sold from one bottom feeder to another about monthly....while I could have the listing changed, it's like having an unlisted # free...Hank

Posts: 37 | Location: weaverville, NC | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<sparks>
posted
I heard a story of a guy that had a phone number that was so close to the Golf Course's number he would get their mis-dialed calls. He had his number first. He complained to the golf course and they refused to get their number changed. So he started scheduling tee times and never passing the info on to the golf course!

They changed their number...

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I hate to admit this...

Many years ago, while still in high school, I worked at a Pizza Hut. Pizza Inn was just up the street and their phone number was only one digit different from ours.

Well, late at night you like to get a head start toward your closing chores, and we would sometimes roll the dice and clean the oven a little early.

If we took a telephone order after that (say 10 minutes or so before closing) we would simply place an identical order at Pizza Inn, just up the street.

When the poor, unsuspecting customer came in to pick up their order, we would look at each other innocently and ask if anyone recalled taking the order. The customer, of course, was livid.

At that point we would ask if, just maybe, they had placed their order at Pizza Inn rather than Pizza Hut, after all the telephone numbers were so close and all.

Of course the poor customer was beside himself at this point. Of course he placed his order with Pizza Hut, were we crazy?

Well, you can guess - we would very apologetically make a call to Pizza Inn and confirm that the order was ready, just right over there...

The poor embarrassed customer would offer profuse apologies and slip sheepishly out the door...

I can see God smackin' me around a bit over that come judgement day.

Of course that weren't what this thread was about...

Spot

Posts: 849 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 11 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I think since you arranged to get the customer his or her pizza you're pretty well covered for a good, harmless joke.

In college we used to order a pizza (with like 3 toppings) for a dorm room that the student was away for the weekend, etc. The delivery guy would show up and of course no answer when he called for the student to come down and pay for the pizza.

Then these nice guys who just happened to be studying in the dorm lounge by the front desk (me and my pals) would offer to buy the pizza off the delivery guy, but we'd only have enough cash for a plain, cheese pizza. The guy had the option of getting some money, or taking the pizza back. We usually ate cheap!

Smiler

LD

Hivernant
Picture of BP Shooter
posted Hide Post
I liked the REDGREEN method of handling Telephone Solicitors and that was to take a small hand held Voice Recorder and record the data noise heard when someone gets when they listen in to a Fax line you know that electronic squeal.Then when they telemarketer calls just play this back and they will think that number is a fax line and cross you off their list.

Posts: 103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 18 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
I had a friend years ago who, when she got a call from a house-siding salesman, played dumb and said, "Wait, I'll go ask my husband." She put the phone down and went about her business. When she wandered by a few minutes later, the salesman was still on the line, and so she said, "Our house is brick!"

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
If you want a really good laugh, google up TOM MABE". He has his own way of dealing with telemarketers. When you get MABE up, look for his crime scene investigation.

Posts: 557 | Location: geneva,fl | Registered: 29 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post