Find
Notify
Tools

What's happened?
 Login/Join

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted
I feel so lonely when I get on here. My old friends have deserted the Campfire. It seems that hardly anyone is here. I am the third member to join and have really enjoyed the give and take over the years. Now I post an amusing story on Tall Tales and I can't even get anyone to look at it, let alone respond.
Is the Campfire dying?
God bless.
León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Newoodsrunner
posted Hide Post
I was thinking the same thing Fiddlesticks Mike and a few more old timers haven't been on for quite awhile

Posts: 461 | Location: SW Okla | Registered: 02 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
I probably click the shortcut to "Posts since last visit" a couple times a day when I sit down to check Email or something but it's usually blank.
And just stating a fact...IMO the Campfire has never really had high volumes of member traffic like some other forums, but lately, it really has been pretty dead.
I had even wondered if it somehow had anything to do with the announcement of that change in ownership or if it was just a coincidence.
With my main ML interest being hunting oriented and hunting seasons closed now, I don't post much and maybe some others are the same way.

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Pare-
posted Hide Post
I hear what you guys are saying. Every time I visit the board, its pretty much dead. Maybe since its warmed up, folks are out & about enjoying the weather. I think most folks are on Facebook. There's pages on there, similar to others we belong to.

I have some projects I need to finish up, but managed to get a couple done. I made a few food bags and a knife sheath. I also have a couple green buffalo hides (summer kills) and decided to use one for a few projects. I cut a 3"x16" piece and made a tumpline with 6' ties. Nothing fancy, just functional. I also cut a few 1/2" strips to use as blanket ties and made a belt with a forged buckle made by Curt Lyles. Curt is a fine blacksmith and the wife even likes his work, so she now has one of his knives. I should've never shown her his site...

See ya' guys!

Pare-

Posts: 104 | Location: Little River, I.T. | Registered: 06 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Swanny
posted Hide Post
Most of the boards I frequent have been very slow the past two weeks or so. I'm bettin' the old "honey do" lists are gettin' done while the weather permits.

“A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other.” (William Francis Butler)

Posts: 28 | Location: Two Rivers, Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
It has been a little slower lately but I have been really busy too. I have working on dyeing some shirts and I recently bought an old wooden boat/canoe. I have been sanding the paint off of it and seeing what is underneath. It may be just that type of thing.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Linda Scurlock
posted Hide Post
Hi, Volie, I don't post that often, but then I never have. I can tell you that I just got an overage notice on the storage used by our forum, so from my perspective it seems pretty active. However, I have noticed over the years that summer tends to be slow. Lots of folks are out "doing," after being cooped up during the winter. I bet it picks up as summer draws to a close.

As for the change in ownership of the magazine, Bill and Jason continue working together to make the transition as smooth as possible. Bill and I have NOT left the sport however! He has several publishing projects lined up, and he enjoyed being at Ft. Fred this past April. We will be at the CLA show in August, as well. If personal responsibilities and my health had allowed, we would have attended more events this year. Hopefully, next year will be better on that front.

Regards,
Linda

Managing Editor
Scurlock Publishing

Posts: 698 | Location: Texarkana, Texas | Registered: 18 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Roundball, I know the Campfire never was a high membership and volume board, but that was part of its charm. We had a bunch of good old boys that were willing to keep the banter going. That is much of what I miss now, the banter.
Being kind of isolated down here in sunny south México, I will keep on monitering and posting.
Since I no longer build gonnes because of where I live, I can't post too much about MLs. However I still remember my experiences building, shooting and hunting. I am willing to share these experiences with the new members, especially those who are just starting into the game of muzzleloading. I will try to give good answers to their questions.
León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Linda,
Lord bless you and Bill. I hope your health will improve so you all may attend and participate.
I miss the Oldfart really bad. He doesn't answer my emails. He sure could string a good yarn on Tall Tales.
León

pistuo deo lalo