MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Webmaster    SAVING MANUAL: SHOOTING THOMPSON/CENTER BLACK POWDER MUZZLELOADING FIREARMS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SAVING MANUAL: SHOOTING THOMPSON/CENTER BLACK POWDER MUZZLELOADING FIREARMS
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted
Jason, a lot of us got started into muzzleloading through and/or continue to use the muzzleloaders built by T/C Arms, beginning back in 1970.

Since S&W bought out Thompson/Center, T/C's involvement in its former ML product line has basically faded away to nothing...even to the point now where their mainstay owner's manual with load data charts is no longer even on their website:
SHOOTING THOMPSON/CENTER BLACK POWDER MUZZLELOADING FIREARMS

It used to be available as a downloadable .PDF file which I downloaded & saved a copy of a few years ago, in anticipation of this possibly happening after the S&W take over, and from time to time Email a copy to various individuals.

Since it is now not even available from T/C, I thought it might be worth preserving on a muzzleloader forum like this. It should be pretty straight forward to make the file a permanent addition or "sticky" in a "Campfire Reference Articles" section or something...could be helpful to a lot of folks for years to come.

If you agree, let me know where to Email the .PDF file to you. ( not very big, 1749 KB )

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I whole heartedly agree with you. However, it is best to get approval from S&W to do this with their copyrighted material.

I also downloaded a copy a while back.

Part Man, Part Critter
Born under the watch of the Great Spirit

Posts: 71 | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Ugly:
I whole heartedly agree with you. However, it is best to get approval from S&W to do this with their copyrighted material.
I also downloaded a copy a while back.
It was free and intended to be downloaded, no strings attached...and I'm sure there are already a jillion copies downloaded around the world...the manual clearly shows it's a Thompson/Center manual, and the .PDF file structure has its tracks right back to T/C...no need to waste any time with S&W.

Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
Additional Information:

I've accumulated several of the little T/C hard copy manuals over the years that are the exact same thing as a viewing or printout the .PDF file. I just sat here and went through one cover to cover...nothing in there whatsoever about not being able to do anything with the manual...no comments about not replicating it...no cautions against copying it...no comments against sharing it with others, etc, etc...even says additional copies are available for free.
There is only a single footnote referring to a list of "registered names" that T/C copyrighted so other companies couldn't use them...product names like the "Patriot", "Maxi-Hunter", "Maxi-Ball", "Natural Lube 1000", "Hawken" (surprisingly), Tree Hawk, etc, etc...nothing about the owner’s manual itself being copyrighted, or the free information in it other than those names.

And it stands to reason simply having the exact unaltered .PDF on a ML Forum would be fine since it was established and made available worldwide to download to our computers for free, no questions asked...so by the same token it would also be fine to download it to the computer that's running the Campfire Forum...it's not like the Campfire Forum is going to steal the info and publish it under the name Campfire Forum, or sell it / profit from it as if it's the property of the Campfire Forum, etc.

And finally, remember that it's already been in the public domain worldwide for free...both hardcopy and softcopy...since they began making it available back in the '70's...roughly 40+ years.

Hunt Like The Settlers

Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
This is how the front cover of T/C's manual looks, both hard copy and the online .PDF file...pretty clear who it belongs to:

Hunt Like The Settlers

"Publisher - MUZZLELOADER"
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Roundball,
I think that is a fantastic idea. I was introduced to muzzleloading when my father and uncle purchased .50 T/C Hawkens, though my own first gun was a Lyman Great Plains rifle in .50.

Email the PDF file to me at jason (at) muzzleloader.net and I will make it available.

I don't think that there would be any problems with posting it since it was made available for free download on their website.
Jason

Jason Gatliff
Historical Enterprises, LLC

Posts: 6 | Location: Gallatin, TN | Registered: 05 February 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
OK, just sent it...

Hunt Like The Settlers

Hivernant
Picture of Willis Creek
posted Hide Post
Never owned one. They look funny. What historical rifle are they supposed to represent?

"touch not the cat without a glove"
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Posts: 143 | Location: South of the Arkansas, on the slopes of St. Charles Peak, Colorado territory | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
ROFL.....I have to be honest...you're post can only mean one of two things:
1) You're either a real newcomer / beginner into the world of muzzleloading;
2) Or, you're just trying to stir something up;
Wink

I made this available to those who would understand and might have an interest in its availability

Hunt Like The Settlers

Hivernant
Picture of Willis Creek
posted Hide Post
The answer is obvious. I'm trying to stir things up!

"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Posts: 143 | Location: South of the Arkansas, on the slopes of St. Charles Peak, Colorado territory | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Notchy Bob
posted Hide Post
I think it's a great idea to make this manual available. Thanks to all of the folks who are making it happen.

Although T/C's sidelock muzzleloader operations appear to be circling the drain, there are a lot of these guns out there. Used ones in good shape are readily available, often without their manuals.

We could go on and on about how they are not PC/HC, but much of that discussion is rhetorical. They are great guns in their own right.

Notchy Bob

"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us. Should have rode horses. Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Posts: 333 | Location: Florida | Registered: 24 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
I agree, there are always a few trolls on every forum who trash talk T/C's traditional oriented line of muzzleloaders.
Truth be told of course, the trolls have done nothing to increase the presence of traditional muzzleloading in our country, while without question Thompson / Center Arms did more for the rebirth of traditional muzzleloading in this country since 1970 than any other single company ever thought about doing...shame what happened to that line of business under S&W.

The least that a few ML forums can do is keep the owner's manual available...

Hunt Like The Settlers

Hivernant
Picture of Willis Creek
posted Hide Post
That's Troll, with a capital T, if you please. . .

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
SHOOTING THOMPSON/CENTER BLACK POWDER MUZZLELOADING FIREARMS

Please send me the PDF of SHOOTING THOMPSON/CENTER BLACK POWDER MUZZLELOADING FIREARMS. I recently bought a T/C Patriot Pistol, used but in nearly new condition but seller did not have a manual to include with the sale.

Posts: 2 | Location: WA State | Registered: 12 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
SORRY I forgot to include my email address for the T/C PDF manual it is
3riverscatalysis@charter.net

thx,
JIM WHITE

Posts: 2 | Location: WA State | Registered: 12 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post