Find
Notify
Tools

Retired
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
Picture of JoeM
posted
Well, come the end of March 2020, I will have been Retired for 1 year... I actually left the work force in mid-March of '19 as I had two weeks vacation coming, so I naturally used that... Retirement has been interesting, and I promised myself that when I was 62 I was gonna do it - and I did! I can't say it's been an easy adjustment for me, but I've managed to get (almost get) that first year under my belt without going stir crazy - even built a new flintlock rifle (like I needed it), but I had gathered parts for the past 10+ years or so to build my retirement rifle, so I did... I wouldn't change one bit of it, and will admit - it takes a bit of getting use to. First time in my life I've been paid "not to work" lol!!!

Enjoying the 2019 Chadron Fur Trade Days Annual Rendezvous
(I'm the guy loading - in the red shirt - Joey's next to me, we tied in the candle snuffing contest the night before - good times!)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JoeM,

Ohio Joe / Chadron Fur Trade Days

Posts: 69 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Joe, glad things are working for you. I retired in January of 2013 and like it. I was 67 than. Now I'am working on two guns. One is a Jukar in 45 and the other on is GM in 40. Both are getting new stocks. The Jukar has never be fired. Retirement has been good, if you can stay somewhat health. Make the most of it. Mark

Posts: 164 | Location: Burlington, Wisconsin | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
Picture of JoeM
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark. The weather is starting to get better so I can get back out in my workshop, and out on the Range more often... Shoveling snow gets a bit old after a'while... lol!!!

I've got a couple old barrels from CVA rifles laying around in my workshop that I've collected over the years (both 45's), and a couple locks (both flint), that could use a home, so I thought I might make a couple .45 cal kids rifle's out of 'em. I kind's hate to see 'em just setting there not serving their purpose - so as long as my wife doesn't have me running all over the country this Summer, I might just get one completed. I noticed at Rendezvous the last several years (and prior to that) that most the kids these days (not that we have a bunch of 'em these days) have been shooting their Dad's rifle which really doesn't fit them, so maybe something with a shorter trigger pull and being able to get their cheek down on the comb might help 'em out if they want to try them. We gotta get the young'uns hooked somehow, so this would be a good project.

At least it'll keep me busy, and I do enjoy my little workshop... And of course there's the grand kids to keep me busy as well, and that's just all right in my book! Smiler

Ohio Joe / Chadron Fur Trade Days

Posts: 69 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Joe, you are right about the kids. I gave one Juker to my grand son and I will find a home for this one when done. Mark

Posts: 164 | Location: Burlington, Wisconsin | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post