MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  Gallery of Black Powder Craftsmen  Hop To Forums  Folks at the 'Fire    1820s Winter Survival Weekend (Personal Album)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
1820s Winter Survival Weekend
 Login/Join

by Will Ghormley (created on )Gallery | Comments 
In late February, '09, I took a weekend in the woods with only my kit and Wilde Weavery wool blanket. Weekend Highlights: In a snow storm I walked in a huge horseshoe direction and ended up a mile south instead of two miles north before the sun came out on the wrong shoulder. I caught my beard on fire blowing on my tinder and it was so cold I couldn't decide if I should slap my face out or stack twigs on my beard. I melted down snow to replennish my canteen. I didn't get the cork on tight and dumped it in my blacket as I crawled into bed. I had to stand with my back to the fire for the next hour drying out my blanket and breach clout.

I tried posting photos but I don't know how to make 'em small enough, so here is a link to the story:

http://www.willghormley-maker.com/1820sTrekkin.html

Will

The slideshow requires Flash Player 9.0.124 or higher.
Please click here to install it.