Find
Notify
Tools

Irish Infantryman
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
Picture of bangfxr
posted
Here are a few photos of me as 1800's militia.

Families sleep peaceably in their beds at night as there are rough men about who will do violence in their behalf.

Posts: 48 | Location: Indianapolis. | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of bangfxr
posted Hide Post
Cant seem to figure out how this works so please forgive me.

Families sleep peaceably in their beds at night as there are rough men about who will do violence in their behalf.

Posts: 48 | Location: Indianapolis. | Registered: 05 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of bangfxr
posted Hide Post
I'll get it some day

Greenhorn
Picture of bangfxr
posted Hide Post
I be the fellow in the green forage cap.

Greenhorn
Picture of bangfxr
posted Hide Post
145 at Gettysburg as the 14th Indiana.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Nice pics. Thanks for sharing. RH

Posts: 1128 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of roundball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bangfxr:
Here are a few photos of me as 1800's militia.
Good stuff...thanks for sharing

Flintlock Rifles & Smoothbores
Hunt Like The Settlers

Posts: 1867 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 28 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
Very nice pics, my first interest in history was The War Between the States.

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deercop
posted Hide Post
Bangfxr,
Do you know about the Irish involvement in the Mexican-American War?
St. Patricks Battalion
Pretty interesting. Were American artillerymen, but do to prejudice from the mostly Protestant American Army, they deserted and joined the Mexican Army.
I didn't know anything about them until I saw a Tom Berenger movie called "One Man's Hero".
I think it's just about the only movie about the Mexican-American War.

Posts: 649 | Location: Clovis, New Mexico | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of bangfxr
posted Hide Post
They were referred to as the San Patricio's and everyone of them were ardent Catholics and felt it as wrong for America to be there at all. When they were captured Gen'l Scott convened a courts martial. The leaders were shot by firing squad, 4-5 young men were branded with a D on the left cheek and kicked out. the rest were hung as soon as the national flag was seen flying over the citadel. There were still 200 Irishmen who remained loyal to the American army and were angry and ashamed as well at their kinsmens actions. there is a book titled Gone for Soldiers. It does a good job on outlining the Mexican war and the young officers who would go on to be generals in the CW. Mexico celebrates St Patrick's day and where they were hung is San Patricio's square and there is a placard listing their names and that they were hero's of Mexico.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1 | Location: Middleton | Registered: 13 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing the pictures, they look great.

BC

"Better fare hard with good men than feast it with bad."
Thomas Paine

Posts: 649 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 June 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of bangfxr
posted Hide Post
Here is a photo of Veterans Day parade in Indianapolis, IN.
The markings on the stripes are the battle honors where our Reg't fought.

Booshway
posted Hide Post
There's a Carlos Murphy restaurant in San Diego CA

Posts: 459 | Location: Yuma, AZ......Soon to be WA.! | Registered: 19 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post