New
Find
Notify
Tools

My gear
 Login/Join

Pilgrim
posted
I did not make the accoutrements in the following photos. When I purchased my first, good flintlock, the previous owner said that all this gear goes along with it. He was getting out of re-enactment and rendezvous activities due to ill health. The animal on the table is a specially trained guard cat to protect all the equipment Big Grin.

Was I fortunate to land all this gear with the rifle? You bet!
Ron

Posts: 62 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 10 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
Wow! You did hit the jackpot. All that stuff is nice regardless who made it. The cat is excellent, too. I like cats as well as dogs. I think he makes a fine guard. And welcome to the campfire.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the previous owner took a real shine to you....Congratulations!....Oh,and welcome to the fire!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I have never taken for granted how fortunate I was to land all this gear! In fact, I didn't even understand at the time that I needed these items to get into muzzleloading.
I will put some photos of the rifle that went with the accoutrements.
Ron

Posts: 62 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 10 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Right!..I'm still in the process of accumulating all the gear I need for the hobby,little bit at a time...

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
I like your stuff... what I really like is your cat and that little brass funnel. Razzer I have found it a real challenge to find a decent funnel... always too big at the spout to where you can't fill a horn or too danged tiny to where it will fit into the horn, but because of the size will take some silly period of time to fill the horn.

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
It may surprise everyone to know that Rusty, the cat, is quite highly educated as a guard cat.

OK, there is a silly story with that photo - graduation from a "Clicker Academy" my wife took him to where the cats learn to respond to a clicker command. Roll Eyes
The old boy is 17, now, and is draped over my shoulders as I write this.
Ron

Factor
Picture of Hanshi
posted Hide Post
I think it's precious.

*Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.*

Posts: 3560 | Location: Maine (by way of Georgia then Va.) | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Willis Creek
posted Hide Post
I only trust men who like cats

"touch not the cat without a glove"
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Posts: 143 | Location: South of the Arkansas, on the slopes of St. Charles Peak, Colorado territory | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Heh,I was raised by cats.....

Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
Boartooth, was them demesticated cats er wild ones?

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
I don't know Boartooth, but I have a sense that he is a fine man and...I'd bet they were wildcats that brought him up!
Ron

Factor
posted Hide Post
Whether they was wild or not depends on your viewpoint.I'm sure every one of those cats was convinced they domesticated us,rather than the other way.But they did like their comforts..... Wink

Hivernant
Picture of Willis Creek
posted Hide Post
Dogs have masters, cats have staff. . .

"touch not the cat without a glove"
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Posts: 143 | Location: South of the Arkansas, on the slopes of St. Charles Peak, Colorado territory | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Idaho Mountainneer
posted Hide Post
Quite true Mr. Willis, quite true.

Posts: 330 | Location: Twin Falls ID | Registered: 29 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Your belt ax looks very much like a modified carpenter's hatchet, with the nail pulling groove ground off and the head reshaped somewhat.

That is exactly how I made mine - from an old flea market hatchet that I cut down. It works just fine.

I like the cat, too.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Willis Creek:
Dogs have masters, cats have staff. . .

OK, it is off the Gear topic, but here it is: Cat Diary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKffm2uI4dk
Ron

Hivernant
Picture of Johnny Reb
posted Hide Post
Nice looking gear. Smiler

"All tyranny needs to gain a foot hold is for People of good conscious to remain silent"
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 110 | Registered: 20 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Johnny Reb!
I've put it to good use.
Ron

<mtnmike>
posted
Nice gear Ron,,And the guard-cat is just the ticket for protecting your plunder Big Grin

Reply With QuoteReport This Post