New
Find
Notify
Tools

18th Century Portmanteau
 Login/Join

<sparks>
posted
Just finished this project Oct. 22, '10. Took me since mid July! Learned lots of new skills. Used lots of tools I had never used before. It was a real challenge! Luke Hartley, one of our Campfire members, helped a LOT via phone and email.

Thanks Luke.

Sparks

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<sparks>
posted
Seems I can only post one pic at a time?
Here's another.

Sparks

<sparks>
posted
Another Portmanteau pic--front.

This 18th century suitcase has a body 24-inches wide and is 8.5 inches high. It is hand saddle stitched with tapered threads.

Sparks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <sparks>,

<sparks>
posted
Portmanteau back...
Sparks

<sparks>
posted
Buckle

Booshway
posted Hide Post
Sparks, I have one made from the same pattern, that a friend gave me about 14yrs ago. They are great and yours looks like it will last a longtime. Good work.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Trapper54cal,

Heck no, you'er the sort that gives that sort a bad name.
Trapper 54cal

Posts: 605 | Location: Los Alamos, New Mexico | Registered: 18 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Great job, there, Sparks!

And I like the workbench, too.

My next leather project is some new mukluk-type shoepacks. This winter maybe. I'm supposed to be writing in my free time, not messing around!

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
James you did very well on the Portmantu.
you do know that you are forcing me to have to go to work to make 3 of them this winter. Roll Eyes
(aka Luke Hatley)

Posts: 358 | Location: Flat Lands of West Tennessee | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<sparks>
posted
All, thanks for the comments.

Luke, I pulled out the piece of scrap (left over from the side of leather I used for this one) and noticed I had enough to make a 2/3 sized one. That may be my next project....sixteen inches wide formed around a 6x6 end piece.

Sparks

Booshway
posted Hide Post
are you ready to do some fire buckets..

ps .I do have a list of items i want to do
and was thinking a Leather Bucket would be a good thing to put them in.. Roll Eyes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: many lodges,

Posts: 358 | Location: Flat Lands of West Tennessee | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of Talltree
posted Hide Post
My good friend Sparks,
Very good job on the Portmanteau. I'm quite impressed. I am sure your next project will be of superb quality as well.

Your humble servant,
Talltree

Keep your tail high and dry!

Posts: 173 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<sparks>
posted
Talltree,
Thanks!

Believe it or not, I was looking at the 'scraps' left over from making this case and realized I had enough to make another that is 2/3 the size.

Before I go too far, my buddy many lodges suggested I make the pattern and overlay the leather before I start cutting. Great idea!

How's that old carpenter saw go..."measure twice cut once?" Or the molding installers saying of, "if it doesn't fit, cut it shorter...you can always splice another piece on..." Wink

Sparks

Booshway
Picture of Mitch
posted Hide Post
Where did you find/get/make the stitching horse? I want one!!

Ride the high trail...never tuck your tail
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the world's population....

Posts: 787 | Location: Near the 4Corners..along the Escalante Trail | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<sparks>
posted
Mitch,
I'm not sure where I got it. Seems I was on a forum somewhere and mentioned I wanted one and someone said he had one he wasn't using. It's oak mostly, except for some iron 'teeth' on the adjustment part...and the nylon straps that keeps on the tension.

Actually, there is an easier way unless you can find one out there at a reasonable price (mine was under $100 several years ago). That easier way may be to build one form the plans in the last three pages of Al Stohlman's "The Art of Hand Sewing Leather." There are likely several sources (like Amazon.com) for that book, but I know Tandy Leather (retail and online) has Al Stohlman's books and they have a very good sale on through tomorrow. If you order by phone, be sure to mention the current sale.

Sparks

Booshway
Picture of sawbones
posted Hide Post
Hey Sparks, I must have missed this one. I have been wanting to make one of these. Where did you get the pattern or did you just put it together?
I like that, it looks great and I would like to make one very similar. Thanks, Chuck

Never flinch

Posts: 524 | Location: Surprise Valley, California/Nevada | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<sparks>
posted
Well Sawbones,
I'd like to say that I found it going through manuscripts while being held in the Bloody Tower (Tower of London). But that would be a fib (or rather a bold faced lie).

The "directions" are in the Book of Buckskinning II, which is one of the out of print books. I put Directions in quotes, because you gotta know a lot more than what's in the directions to successfully complete one of those. I always thought the 300-400 and up prices were steep, until I built one! I sure like it though...

Sparks

<sparks>
posted
By the way, y'all, no sewing machine touched that portmanteau. I don't even know how to thread OR run a sewing machine. All the stitching is by hand. Honest.

Sparks
"I thought when you said you chased tornadoes, it was just a metaphor."
--Soon to be Ex fiance in Twister