Find
Notify
Tools

Fort Frederick Market Fair
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Hunts4Deer
posted
It's coming up in just a few weeks - April 27-30. About 14 miles west of Hagarstown, Maryland. Take Exit 12 off I-70 MD 56 (Big Pool Road)Big Pool, Indian Springs.

See hundreds of fair-goers of all ages dressed in colonial clothing: artisans, soldiers, ladies & gentlemen, Native Americans, longhunters, traders, servants, etc. Free entertainment for all. A fundraising auction will be held on Saturday, April 29.

There are 148 Sutlers, over 500 campers. Open to the public for four days. See you there!
http://friendsoffortfrederick.info/market_fair.htm

John
Vive le Roy!

Posts: 513 | Location: Colony of Maryland | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I will be there Wednesday Morning!

I normally am camped across the "street" from John aka Hunts4Deer. Also next to John is usually a lady glass blower who is blanket trading her wares (good stuff; I have some and plan to buy more). I highly recommend you look at her stuff.

We are usually just West off the main road...as it heads past the fort toward the river, and at the intersection where part of the asphalt goes toward the fort's gate, while the main road continues to the river..., so that's a Left turn when walking that way.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Don't forget your cameras, guys. I need to see some pics. They are anymore my only connection. We don't have such events here. And I can't get there.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I went Friday and had a blast. Plenty of suttlers, lots to see. Came away with a bit of plunder - some leather bag straps, a bag strap in Maryland flag colors for a horn I just finished, a bark tanned bag for that same kit, even a new engraving hammer. Also a big jar of dark maple syrup down along the blanket traders row. Mmmmm.

Sorry V, I never even thought to take the camera. Frowner

LD, your directions had me confused, west of the road was a right heading to the river wasn't it? Wish I'd have known if you had a flag at camp or something. I asked one guy who I thought may have been you but I got an awfully wierd stare. Smiler Hung out rest of the day with our Choptank guys, half dozen of them were camping for the event. Great weather on the day I went, but radar looks like plenty of rain for Saturday.

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report, Osprey, even without pics. El León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Sorry I missed you.

Yeah, the hardball road if you're at the fort runs North to the park-gate (my mistake that there is also a fort gate) and South to the river, and the asphalt drive off of it runs up to the fort-gate. So if you'd a walked from the fort gate to the hardball road, and then didn't turn but crossed the road into the field of camps, I was about 40 yards from the intersection of the hardball road and the asphalt drive. Wink

LD

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
HEY FOLKS the 2018 Market Fair at Ft. Frederick is coming up the last weekend of THIS MONTH.

IF you can make it...., don't miss it!

LD

Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
3000 miles and across an international border is a bit far to travel.

pistuo deo lalo

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I'll be up either Friday or Saturday to visit and shop and ogle! One of these years I'll camp, but it always falls just at the start of turkey and striper season and the first week of work for the season. Someday...

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Went on Saturday and it was just beautiful weather! Plenty of vendors, talked with a bunch of people, struggled back to the truck with an armfull of plunder!

Factor
posted Hide Post
Arrrgh! 'tis always a good time when plunder is to be had!!

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2013 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
The attempt to step back in time thru dress, flintlocks and plunder is what I miss most in my former life in the USA. México also has a rich history, but no one wants to play at it like we do in the USA. Camping out just doesn't hold the appeal here for me, partly because I don't have enough knowledge of what critters may crawl or slither into my bedroll during the night. Also I am constantly informed that I could easily die at the hands of human predators in the woods at night whenever I ask about camping.

pistuo deo lalo

Factor
posted Hide Post
Yup,good point. Americans don't have a proper appreciation for just how unusual our Country is.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2013 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post