New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alvin C. York Shoot
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Hey Ya'll; Just a short report on the annual Alvin York Chunkgun shoot.
It was held yesterday, Saturday the 24th at the usual spot on the old York farm in Pall Mall, Tennessee. Several of the York Clan were on hand, and some of them entered the competition.
I was registered, but didn't shoot. I have a cataract that won't allow me to do any better than a 6 inch group - so no point in trying to compete.
Anyway, rain pretty much washed out the shoot. The first relay in the morning got things done, although the damp weather contributed to some misfires. But, before the 2nd relay got started the rain began coming down harder. I noticed several competitors were packing it up and leaving early. I did the same, and so I was not there to see the 2nd relay.
Shooter numbers were down somewhat, anyway, this year. I heard there were about 130 who pre-registered. There were a few more who registered there on site. In past years there have been upwards of 250 competitors!

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Hi Rancocas
We had 12 of us from South Central Indiana that came down for the shoot, 8 out of the 12 shoot the first and second relays about half shooting flintlocks with no issues in the rain (surprisingly). One of our group came in second place, his Dad was in 14th place and my grandson shooting a CVA Mountain rifle that I had came in 27th put of 83 shooters. The rest of us came in close to the middle of the scores. Overall had a good time. I was surprised to see very few Tennessee shooters mostly Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky boys.

Posts: 1 | Location: South Central Indiana | Registered: 21 November 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Howdy Silverfox;
Wish I had known who you are and that you were there. It sounds like your group did very well.
My friend, Paul who has been there every year since it began is from Illinois. I think that the midwest is where the majority of chunkgun shooters come from.
Paul made me my chunkgun several years ago. He was having a bad day at this year's shoot; not grouping well at all.
One of the York's (I won't say which one) loaded a dry ball and then when he tried to pull it the knob handle of his range rod came off! They finally were able to blow out his ball with CO2 pressure.
Yeah, not many of us from TN attend the York Shoot. Don't know why, except there just aren't many of us down this way who are interested in chunkguns. I live near Chattanooga, about a 3 hour drive from Pall Mall. Been here for about 18 years now, but I'm a Yankee born and bred.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Paul built my Ohio style rifle, he is a great guy and builds a very nice gun. Mark

Posts: 162 | Location: Burlington, Wisconsin | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post