New
Find
Notify
Tools

ft. frederick
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
Hello the Fire,just wunderin if anybody has gone to this event on Wednesday ?I know a couple people on this forum been going there for awhile and I was kinda wonderin if the sutlers and such are set up or should I wait for Saturday
Thanks and have a good one

Posts: 49 | Registered: 08 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
What event is going on, I know the trade fair is in latter part of April.

Posts: 15 | Registered: 06 January 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Hey Drissel,ishould have stated that I was talking about the market fair,sometimes I get in a hurry and forget stuff

Factor
posted Hide Post
I always go on Wednesday morning, early. I have to set up camp including tents for some people who are "physically challenged", and need to be near the hardball road or they won't be able to get out of camp very often. Then I walk down to the Potomac River and fish for a bit, then I come back and find somebody fighting with canvas, and help them out. Always good to make a new friend!

Sutlers? No, Sutlers aren't usually open on Wednesday...they are rolling "in" as well. Some will show up on Thursday, and a few won't come in until Friday Evening...they have other jobs and can't get leave or come from a great distance. So Saturday morning is a good time to get there.

Saturday is also usually the best time for blanket trading as campers with their used items often don't get there until Friday ...same reason...real jobs and distance.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Thank you Sir,i'll plan on going Saturday then,hope to see you there

Booshway
posted Hide Post
I always look forward to this event. Haven't gotten into the camp part of the hobby, but do love to go there, walk around, visit the sutlers and check in with guys from our club that do camp for the weekend. Normally go on Friday or Saturday, depending on everyone's schedule.

I do know one thing, there's one blanket trader I can't wait to find again. Last year there was a guy from northern PA there selling homemade maple syrup in different grades, that was some GOOD STUFF!

Posts: 429 | Location: Delmarva | Registered: 22 December 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Hunts4Deer
posted Hide Post
Here's the website:
http://friendsoffortfrederick.info/market_fair.htm

I'll be setting up camp on Tuesday, and checking people in on Wednesday afternoon at the gate. If you see a French Marine (white coat, blue facing, blue breeches)greeting you, it will be me. Say hello.

Don't forget the Auction on Saturday at 1:00. There are usually great deals and all proceeds buy fort interpreter clothing and support all sorts of activities at the fort.

John
Vive le Roy!

Posts: 513 | Location: Colony of Maryland | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Hey Folks, going up in the Morning. Plan to be there for the entire event, God willing and the river don't rise...

I will fly the Flag of St. David from my camp of two bell'd, wedge tents with an awning between them...

The flag in the past has helped folks located me, and due to my job folks might need to find me in a hurry (story for another time) Big Grin So I fly the flag high enough (I hope) to be seen from a good distance..
So IF you get there, come stop by, (I hope I'll be in camp when you arrive)

Always glad to help the day-trip folks find the best prices, and since I will be there Thurs and Friday scouting out the sutlers...I should have some good info by Friday afternoon and Saturday morning..

God Bless and Keep You

LD

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Yeah, hey, where is the post event report? And pics? C'mon I just can't get there from down below Guadalajara.

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Well, not any pics from me, but it was colder than a well digger's arse! Holy Crap. Had freeze warnings two nights out of five. Seriously thinking of a new tent with a heater. Bought a thick knit hat and another blanket for $50..and it was money well spent. Bought a bag of ice on Wednesday, still had the same ice Sunday.

Windy too. Lost the tents twice on Wednesday, then put in storm ropes. Never did get my awning to stay up, so bagged it Thursday evening.

Rained off an on but Sunday was dry...Though we had some snow flurries too.

LD

Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
Dave, if you want really nice tent heater look at the Little Buddy camp heater. You use a 1 pound LP bottle with it and can use it in a tent. Year before last at Big Lick's spring shoot, (Memorial Day weekend up in Floyd county) it got so cold that everyone wound up wearing what we call "Floyd County pajamas"... Carhart insulated coveralls.

While up at Ft Frederick did you happen to see Delp's Stockings tent display. Mike and Krista go up there every year. They are super nice folks to shoot and deal with with their product line and both are dead shots (flint shooters)

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of volatpluvia
posted Hide Post
Dave, Thanks so much for the report! Sorry about the weather.
Here it was mixture of sun and clouds and about 85 degrees and calm.
But I know weather in PA and Maryland. With the kind of winter you had, I predict you will be sweltering by June.
León

pistuo deo lalo

Posts: 3714 | Location: Acatlan de Juarez, Jalisco, Mexico | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Don't know if I saw Delp's Stockings...on the other hand could've been the folks where I bought the knit hat. Big Grin I admit that a Mr. Buddy heater would work well. I was thinking more like something akin to having a Sibley Heater built out of some sheet steel (the link doesn't show the smoke stack attached). Of course the Sibley doesn't do anything but heat, and requires an insert in the tent for the smoke stack to exit.

LD

Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
I got mine from eBay, I think, for around $79. Both Lowe's and Home Depot had cleared out their winter stuff and didn't have any left. It really works well, with an auto shut off if it tips over off the stand that comes with it. Has a little thermostat too,so it cycles on and off. It keeps my tent warm and most importantly, keeps ME warm. One of the guys in the old club had a tent with a set up like you describe which sure worked well for him. His was more expensive and heavy and took longer to set up though. My tent is one of those Coleman 'insta-tents'. The pop up kind with a 7'center height. Nice to be able to stand up in a tent to dress and to be able to sleep on a cot. No more crawling around on my poor old knees!

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Actually, I am thinking of removing the galvanizing on a 2 Gallon Oval Washtub...which is easily done. Then inverting it and at one "end" installing a 3" stovepipe, and at the other end installing a door. When placed on the ground this would then be a wood/charcoal fired "heater" oven with a flat surface that I could warm up a kettle if I wanted. Smiler

LD

Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
Dave, that's just good ole American ingenuity at work! Sounds like a great idea!

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Hunts4Deer
posted Hide Post
It was another great Market Fair. I camped just 20 yards from Loyalist Dave's camp (Sorry if my snoring woke you, Dave).

It was cold and windy all the way up to Sunday, then, finally, a truly beautiful day.

As usual I spent a bundle, but came home with great treasures. I bought a new 4-point blanket from Robert Stone Handweaver that is really thick and warm, several clothing articles from Cobb Creek, A Knife from Mike Beathe Knives, A windsor chair from Woods unlimited, A large document box from Matthew Stein Woodworker, A pearl and red jewel necklace for my wife from Kim Walters at the Sign of the Gray Horse, and a pewter coffee set from Das Haus Von Shine, and several yards of wool to make more breeches.

It was a great week.

John
Vive le Roy!

Posts: 513 | Location: Colony of Maryland | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dave, that's just good ole American ingenuity at work! Sounds like a great idea!

Well...it's a "cheap" idea...if it works, I will be insufferably pleased with myself...

Yeah John was right next door as was Mara Riley the author. I couldn't hear John snoring because of all the canvas flapping in the wind. EGAD!

He did find a really nice Windsor chair. I wanted to snatch it BUT....tough to hide it ya know?

LD