New
Find
Notify
Tools

WALNUTS !
 Login/Join

Factor
posted
So, On Sunday, I grabbed a new, 5 gallon bucket from the local warehouse home improvement store, and took it home. I then filled it up with green walnut fruits from black walnut trees. I wanted to get them "in" before the big storm hit my neighborhood.

Some were odd, as they were the size of golf balls and others were the more common (at least where I live) type that's a bit smaller than a baseball. Now the small ones were round not oval like a butter-nut so they weren't butter-nuts, unless of course I'm wrong on what butter-nuts look like.

So these will be crushed and boiled this weekend, with some added water/vinegar/Iron Oxide, plus a little salt. I will strain the nuts from the solution. THEN I will dye some leather, followed by storing the remainder of the liquid in some mason jars.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a plan LD. I can’t help with any identification as there is not a single walnut tree in my area at all. I’m not sure where they quit growing at, but its south of me for sure.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
HEY! My Northern Cousin, what was either THE MOST or ONE OF THE MOST common local dyes up there, back in the 18th century??? It's easy to know here in the Mid-Atlantic States in The States, (walnut, walnut, and oh yeah walnut) but how about up North??

LD

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
I have not researched but I would expect charcoal or natural oils (tar sands).
I will do some checking around and get back to ya.
Walk

Posts: 342 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
It doesn't have to be for a hunting shirt, but for cloth in general.

LD

Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Gonna be honest here, I have never really pursued traditional clothing dyes for my area, but with a little research here is what I have come up with....
I live in the heart of the Rocky Mountain fur trade area, specifically the David Thompson area and about 1 mile from the Rocky Mountain Historical Site at Rocky Mountain House. This area is well documented and well know for its place in history of the fur trade and mapping of the route west through the Rockies. Voyagurs, it seems mostly wore the clothing provided by their employers, with white shirts and blue trousers being most common. The natives dyed their lether clothing mostly red using various berries. Other colors appear to be less common, but again simply using assorted berries, flowers or even evergreen needles. Chamomile leaves also come up frequently.
Sorry, not much help.
Walk

Factor
posted Hide Post
This is interesting...What color would result from using chamomile leaves,do you know?

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Camomile leaves will provide green.
I expect most cotton clothing was purchased already pre-made, much like today in fact. It would be the leathers that were home made, and mostly in basic form. In fact buffalo robes were just that as I understand it. Not much in the way of actual “buckskins”.
Walk

Booshway
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of info about natural dyes on the Internet.
Just a quick look revealed that you can get various shades of brown from walnut, oak bark, acorns, burdock, and even coffee grounds. For shades of a yellow/orange try alder root, barberry, bloodroot, sassafras, and onion skins. For blue try blackberry, blueberry, cornflower petals, dogwood fruit and elderberry.
There are many more.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Must be nice to have access to enough berries to use the juice for dying cloth....

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Depends on the amount of cloth, don't it?

I took poke berries, and dyed some tow twine for a buddy who does Native American, so he could wrap up some of his hair. Pretty garish color when done....purple-y pink.

LD

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Had a bunch of black walnut trees on the farm I grew up on. I remember gathering for my mom, and using the remnants to dye my traps each year.

Posts: 101 | Location: Davidsville , PA | Registered: 10 August 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Umm,how do you dye a trap?

Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Boil then dip. That easy.
Walk

Factor
posted Hide Post
The metal of a trap takes a dye?

Booshway
Picture of Walkingeagle
posted Hide Post
Yes, you boil a new trap to remove all oils then hang to air dry. You dip a rusty trap to dye.
Walk

Factor
posted Hide Post
*Scratches head* Umm,ok,I'll take your word for it,but it's kinda counter intuitive.

Factor
posted Hide Post
Technically, it stains the trap, or really the layer of rust on the trap and makes it sort of uniform, and turns the rust to a dark flat brown, AND sorta stabilizes it too. Kinda like a browning solution. (In fact now that I write this I wonder about the acid in the dye bath and browning locks or barrels...hmmm)

LD

Factor
posted Hide Post
Hmm indeed.Veery interestink....