New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gourds
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
Curious how many grow n use gourds either around the homestead or running the woods. I've grown them many times both large and small. Larger I've used as bird houses, bowls, water hauling containers etc. The smaller to hold fire making tinder, salt,pepper,etc, also used to hold deer scent while hunting from a stand. Very versitle items that are light weight once cleaned and dried and if let to really mature on the vine not as fragile as some might think. Anybody else ever used or grown them?

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
No,I was always worried that they would cross with the squash,and ruin both....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I buy mine from the orchard down the street. It helps support the orchard, and I can devote my little gardening space to edibles.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I went to a little art fair yesterday. One local vendor had some gourds that she had painted with fraktur and rosemaling designs. Very pretty.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid a great uncle of mine would grow dipper gourds and tie a knot in the handle as they grew. I managed to do the same a few years ago. I hope to try again next year.

Posts: 82 | Location: north georgia | Registered: 12 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Hunts4Deer
posted Hide Post
I make gourd canteens and sell them on the blanket. We (French) soldiers use them as our canteens, because we have no documentation that French troops in America (during the F&I War) we ever officially issued canteens on an individual basis. But at some events, you cannot take to the field for a battle without carrying water.

John
Vive le Roy!

Posts: 513 | Location: Colony of Maryland | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boartooth:
No,I was always worried that they would cross with the squash,and ruin both....

Im pretty sure they are in different families and will not cross. Different types of gourds will cross with each other though. You can grow different types of sqaush side by side and not cross. We routinly grow a squash that is in the pepo family next to one that is in the maxima and one thats in the mashada(sp) families side by side no crossing. You have to know what family group you are growing to make it work.

Some people are born to be tied down, some people are born to be free.

Posts: 21 | Registered: 27 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I see,I'm going to have to study up on families,I guess....

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I checked with my wife (she has a green thumb that goes all the way to her shoulder) and she said that no gourds dont cross with sqaush.

Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Trapper , hate to burst your wife's bubble but they can cross polinate. Several years back I learned the hard way. Had gourds n squash planted pretty close together, the gourds came out fine but the squash crop came out looking and taseing like YUK!! If ya dare tell her either be behind a strong door or DUCK ROTFL , i also read up on it and consensus was it could happen.

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
They are not in the same families so I do see how it would be possible.