Find
Notify
Tools

Wire inlay
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted
Does anyone have any instructions on how to do wire inlay? In both metal and wood? I'm looking to do some, but I've no idea how to do it and would like some advice. Thanks! Big Grin

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Josh under gunsmithing and the topic of gun building books the subject is covered in those books.I've played around at it,but nothing serious,so don't want to steer you wrong. There must be something on the web. Basically you use(on wood) a slim blade to cut in your design and then you push/tap the inlay wire into the wood.Some inlay work is terrific. The cut into the wood is a vertical cut.One of the aforementioned books suggests using a section of hacksaw blade to make your cuts. Straight blade and curved blades for doing the work are suggested. The couple of times I messed with it on scrap wood my cuts always seemed to wide.So I guess maybe thinning a hacksaw section would do better. Somebody here knows.

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Thanks doublelong! I'll see what
i can do.

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
I know they are p/c sites, but I have seen a tutorial on this. Try knifenetwork or britishblades, and it could have been as far back as a couple of years. If I remember right it was with hand tools and very well written.

EIThomsono
britishblades

The trick is to combine google with BB

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sit...20wire%20inlay

Good luck on your quest.

If I have offended anyone, please let me know,

LeeRoy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LeeRoy,

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
It was explained to me that in metal you grave a chanel that is wider at the bottom than at the surface. Wire is pushed into the channel and hammered to fill the channel. This is what scared me off from trying it.

Posts: 129 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
for silver wire inlay in wood - check out this video it is very thorough:
http://www.centercross.com/shadowbox.php?p=video&V=7

for metal it is as noted above although most and is done with engraving tools IIRC. Many also stipple the bottom of the slot as well - Jerry Huddleston who posts on the MLF board at times or Capt Chee who posts here might be able to offer some advice or check out these links
https://www.google.com/search?...laying+wire+in+metal

aka Chuck Burrows

Posts: 616 | Location: Southern Rockies | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of LeeRoy
posted Hide Post
GreyWolf

Thanks for the Links.

I would like to say that Mr. David Price Sr.is a great craftsman.

LeeRoy

Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 171 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: 14 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
You're welcome Leroy and yes he is...

aka Chuck Burrows

Posts: 616 | Location: Southern Rockies | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! How do you engrave a line wider at the bottom than the top?

Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GreyWolf:
You're welcome Leroy and yes he is...

by using the right tool Wink
Take a look at the google link I posted above and then check out some of the tutorials listed - they show ho-to and what tools to use - hint" it's a type of engraver

BTW_ Congrats Josh on your knife for the CLA

aka Chuck Burrows

Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Chuck! I'll be sure to check out your link! And thanks for the complement on the knife! It means a lot.