Notify
Tools

Making Bear Oil
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Night Owl
posted
Hi guys,

I'm looking for someone who has specific information on how to make/obtain your own bear "oil," (not bear grease/tallow), but the stuff that remains basically a liquid at room temperature. I've found a lot of stuff online regarding rendering the stuff for tallow, but NOT for the pure oil. A search of this forum looks like a few guys have or are using bear OIL, but not much in the method of how exactly to extract it. I did read some vague directions by one that you continue rendering/cooking the tallow even further to get the actual oil...but then again they were very short on the specifics. I've done a lot of tallow rendering, and have a decent supply, so there is no issue there.

I'd like to try using bear "oil" for a patch lube and/or surface protector for my flintlock. I know whale oil and bear oil were supposed to be very common in the 18th century for lubes, lamp oils, etc.

Thanks!!

Posts: 265 | Location: Upper Peninsula of Michigan | Registered: 03 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Sage Rider
posted Hide Post
I to am interested in the answer. I have rendered bear fat to tallow then again and again. The oil stayed liquid until it got really cold. The only oil that stayed liquid at the point is beaver fat. I rendered it once and that was it...

"Don't Retreat, just reload"

Posts: 411 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I've rendered plenty of bear grease and it's always been grease, not oil like whale oil. If you want a substitute for whale oil rendered beaver tail fat is the only thing I can think of. I use it on my guns.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Night Owl
posted Hide Post
There have been several examples I've seen specifically citing "bear oil" not tallow as an ingredient.

I've rendered a lot of tallow and it only stays liquid until it cools down...then it becomes a soap like solid, (beef, deer, bear, etc.)

The description always sounds like they are using an amber colored liquid of some type...unless the bear grease is heated up first and melted.

Posts: 265 | Location: Upper Peninsula of Michigan | Registered: 03 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
Picture of Willis Creek
posted Hide Post
My experience has been that once rendered and bottled, the solids settle to the bottom of the bottle. Then you can pour off the oil. This is a slow process which requires repetition.

"touch not the cat without a glove"
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Posts: 143 | Location: South of the Arkansas, on the slopes of St. Charles Peak, Colorado territory | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Night Owl
posted Hide Post
I'll just have to mess around with it a bit and slowly pour off the small amounts of oil like you mentioned. Thanks!!

Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Some folks on the Traditional Muzzleloading Forum a few years ago had a discussion on the subject. A search there might produce the info you need.

Posts: 82 | Location: north georgia | Registered: 12 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Any updates on how this worked out for you Night Owl? I've just come into a little bit of rendered fat.

Posts: 207 | Location: The Folle Avoine | Registered: 19 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Oil is a thin grease, and grease is a thick oil.
You can break down grease two ways. With temperature, or chemically with a thinner.
Turpentine is an excellent natural thinner, that can be used to thin grease into an oil.

"I don't know where we're goin', but there's no sense bein' late." Quigley

Posts: 104 | Location: The Beehive State | Registered: 12 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Interesting,Anyone try turpentine to thin bear grease?

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Bear "oil" is the thinner oil that rises to the top as thicker more solid particlate settles to the bottom. Place yer well rendered n strained bear fat into clear glass bottles to settle. After a spell you'll notice just a tiny bit of clear liquid rise to the top. Use an eye dropper to siphon it off into a smaller bottle.Good clean rendered bear fat can be used as is for skin lotion, lube, cooking just all sorts of stuff. Hope this might help some. Just be REAL patient waiting for the actual "oil" to rise to the surface.

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
Picture of TurkeyCreek
posted Hide Post
My only problem is there ain't many bears here in NW Oklahoma! I have to settle for beef tallow. Best patch lube I ever used was bear oil!

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"

Posts: 186 | Location: Turkey Creek on Cimarron Drainage | Registered: 10 September 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
Darn and double dog darn!! My ole chain saw eats all the BAR oil I can get my paws around! Eeker

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Eeker Big Grin Wink

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Cranbrook I near busted a gusset laughing at yer post. Been a tough week n didn't realize just how much a good laugh I needed. Feelen like a young buck chasen a hot you doe(two legged a course) but don't tell She who must be obeyed, crimany she have 32 things fer me to do over n above the rest of the honey do list rotflmao

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
If there's no bear in your area maybe contact a few taxadermy shops n ask if they can set ya up with any bear fat. It might cost a few coin n postage but at least ya can play with it if they can. Or maybe Google it up n see what may be out there you can get a hold of.

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
Good one Cranbrook

"I don't know where we're goin', but there's no sense bein' late." Quigley

Posts: 104 | Location: The Beehive State | Registered: 12 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post