MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Traditional Crafts    Super cool video on YouTube; Native American Horn Bow
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Super cool video on YouTube; Native American Horn Bow
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
posted
I just stumbled upon this super cool video where a guy makes a horn bow while living in a cave, and he’s using primitive tools and techniques.

I’ve been interested in now making and if you find any interest in this topic I highly recommend this video.

https://youtu.be/ULVQuCbkFjQ

Shoot Safe

Posts: 43 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 15 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I know that Asians made/make bows out of horn, and I knew that Native Americans made wooden composite bows, that had horn parts, but never heard of them using horn as the major portion of the limbs.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3842 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Hello LD,

I’ve been wondering where you were. I’ve read and enjoyed many of your posts here.

I read Reginald and Gladys Laubin book, “American Indian Archery” which showed many style bows I wasn’t familiar with and some were horn bows. I read this over 30 years ago and enjoyed it. It’s a dated book but very interesting.

Tom Lucas makes a bow like this from bighorn sheep. He’s from Wyoming here in the USA.

https://youtu.be/zHDPg9RXUm0

Thanks for posting LD. Please post more often. I love reading the cooking posts especially.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bryan E.,

Shoot Safe

Posts: 43 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 15 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post