muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc
Trueing rendard fat

This topic can be found at:
https://muzzleloadermag.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5791081811/m/6424030048

09 September 2015, 06:09 PM
Birdman61
Trueing rendard fat
OK not sure if I spelled "trueing " correctly but its actually the second step in rendering fat into a really useful product. Slow simmer your raw fat n collect that grease. To true the fat n Really clean it ya gotta gentle boil it in water a couple three time. Place your solid rendered fat in a pot n cover with water, been ng the water to a gentle simmer to melt the fat n give it a few good stirs. After 10 minutes or so take the pot off the heat, cover with a towel n let completely cool n solidify. I like doing it in late fall n cool it outside. Once the fat is hard gentle remove it from the water. Easily scrape the side that was against the water, it will be speckled with stuff now separated from the fat n kind of jelly like consistency. Now repeat the whole process a second time. What's left is a truly clean n contaminent free fat. It'll last years n great for lube, leather conditioner etc but with little to no smell, salt etc still in it.
09 September 2015, 06:13 PM
Birdman61
Oh yea after simmering in the water the first time toss that water n start with fresh the second time
10 September 2015, 10:30 AM
TurkeyCreek
Birdman I see where that would help purify the rendered fat. When I was a kid we used to render the hog fat into lard. It was my job to stir the fat in the great big round bottom rendering kettle we had. But I don't ever remember my mom and grandma going through the process you described. If I remember right, they just ladled it out and poured it through a straining rag into the lard containers. But the best part of the whole deal was the cracklins!!! I'm getting ready to render some beef fat down into tallow this fall so I might give your process a try.

"They do not live their lives 'by your leave'! They hack it out of the wilderness with their own two hands, bearing their children along the way!" - Cora Monroe - "Last Of The Mohicans"
10 September 2015, 12:16 PM
Birdman61
Useing the straining cloth helped catch a lot but by really cleaning it it was used to completely cover meat stuffs placed in layers to preserve it. I've had some last more then a couple years n it was still fine. Actually used some to cook with n no off flavor n nobody ever suspected. It also comes out that nice white color some look for instead of that kind of off white or yellowish color.
10 September 2015, 12:55 PM
Boartooth
*Scribble,scribble* (taking notes)

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin