Find
Notify
Tools

pewter sources
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted
Hey, all. Where does one buy pewter for casting? I've been using lead free solder for my knife bolsters, 'cause they are almost the same, but after some deliberation, I figured I'd switch to real pewter. What kind do I get, and where is the best source for the lowest possible price? I'm not really sure what to look for.

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
Picture of Seepwater
posted Hide Post
I like to cruise thrift stores and buy any old pewter mugs, plates, bowls, etc. I find. Cheap and easy.

Still working on melting down an old bent up teapot I got.

shoot first ask questions later

Posts: 220 | Location: Lyman, WY....just 6 miles from Ft. Bridger! | Registered: 09 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Ok. It hurts me to melt antiques somehow.

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I get mine from track of the wolf,last time I bought an ingot cost five bucks and change but I can't remember how much they weigh,but I get several knives outta I ingot

Posts: 49 | Registered: 08 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of woodman
posted Hide Post
www.rotolmetals.com. several different grades of pewter

Posts: 357 | Location: Colorado Territories | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
Picture of Seepwater
posted Hide Post
I don't melt down old stuff...just junk from the thrift counters.

Posts: 220 | Location: Lyman, WY....just 6 miles from Ft. Bridger! | Registered: 09 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of GreyWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woodman:
www.rotolmetals.com. several different grades of pewter

Yep + 1
IMO- This is the place - best bet is to buy $100.00 bucks worth to get the free shipping.
I use the hard Babbitt metal for bolsters and butt caps and whatever. The harder Babbitt doesn't scratch or dent as easily as the softer versions.
FYI - The solder your using is actually very similar to Brittania metal - a type of period pewter that in some alloys contained a small amount of real silver. The idea that period pewter often contained lead is almost pure balderbash based on an analysis of period pieces I read sometime back.

aka Chuck Burrows

Posts: 616 | Location: Southern Rockies | Registered: 03 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seepwater:
I don't melt down old stuff...just junk from the thrift counters.

Oh, good. You had me worried there for a minute. Wink

Thanks for the link, Woodman, and the extra info, Chuck. Quite helpful.

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Don't know how much you need. This is a good source of lead free pewter. Good guy
To deal with.

Posts: 8 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 21 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
Picture of Seepwater
posted Hide Post
My most recent 'find' was a pewter Christmas scene attached to to a round tin cookie tin. Modern in origin so not an antique. Will be good for five or six knives. Cost me all of a dollar.