New
Find
Notify
Tools

Churning butter
 Login/Join

Graybeard
posted
Anybody ever made your own butter? Most butter today is pretty bland. Good woman picked up a slab of unsalted Irish butter made in Ireland from grass fed milk cows. Man this stuff is good, same texture we're used to but the flavor is way better. You can taste the cream but it has a nutty background way better then the usual stuff. Was wondering if anybody ever tried making their own butter n how it turned out?

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
We've made our own butter....Traded my homemade Sourdough bread for fresh,unprocessed milk from an acquaintance near here.For awhile we had fresh butter,homemade cheese,you name it.Then the lady got greedy and raised the price of her milk,and told us we'd have to pay cash 'cause she and her family were gaining weight on my bread....Poopy.

Beer is proof that God loves us,and wants us to be happy-B. Franklin

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
My wife makes butter. Usually with her old Daisy churn, but sometimes with a blender. Let the cream warm to about room temperature (seems to take forever if it's cold) and be patient. after the butter comes pour of the buttermilk and run the butter through a couple changes of water to rinse out the milk. Squeeze out the water with butter paddles or your hands. Then work in some salt if you want, or don't. Use the buttermilk in biscuts and butter them up.

Posts: 507 | Registered: 14 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free Trapper
posted Hide Post
My Great Grandmother once won an award for making the best butter in the state of Michigan. I can still remember how much I liked eating her homemade salt rising bread, covered with her fresh butter! I was just 8 years old when she passed but she left quite an impression on my young mind! I sit in her old rocking chair as I write this post.http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jayhomer/RansomEmma.htm

Posts: 197 | Registered: 15 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
Wow,what a memory!I had a Great Aunt that was an amazing baker.I have similar good memories....YUM!

Posts: 2014 | Location: Oreegun Territory | Registered: 24 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of MountainRanger
posted Hide Post
My mom never churned butter (during my lifetime) although it's probable that she did it prior to her going to nursing school during the 30s then the Army Nurse Corps. I do recall her getting some fresh churned butter from down the road and using it to make strawberry butter. She'd grind up fresh strawberries then mix it in the butter and we'd put it on fresh buns or bread and oh my, what a wonderful taste, what a wonderful memory!!!

Sua Sponte

Posts: 460 | Location: SW Virginia (New River Valley) | Registered: 13 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
We have made butter from goat and cow milk store bought butter cant compear.

Some people are born to be tied down, some people are born to be free.

Posts: 21 | Registered: 27 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
TD,how do you get your goat cream to make it with? Do you have a separator?

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boartooth:
TD,how do you get your goat cream to make it with? Do you have a separator?

No we dont have a cream seperator, we let the milk set then skim the cream off the top. You dont get much so we put it in the freezer till we have enough to make some butter.

Some people are born to be tied down, some people are born to be free.

Posts: 21 | Registered: 27 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
We had goats when I was a teen.We were never able to skim enough cream to do anything with,but we had cheese,and drank huge amounts for meals....Good memories....Never thought of just freezing the cream 'till we had enough.Buying a separator was way too much money for a poor family like ours.

Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Good woman picked up a slab of grass fed beef butter made in Ireland Holy Moly it is off the charts good. Sooo much more flavor then any of our commercialy made stuff here in the US.

Posts: 229 | Location: Southeast Pa. | Registered: 03 February 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post