New
Find
Notify
Tools

Making lead ingots
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Cleaning and Pouring up some lead for later use in a lee melter for roundball making.

Notice that I used a traditional propane burner Wink

God bless America and Alba Gu Brath!

Posts: 567 | Location: God's farm in Alabama | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I have a similar propane burner. I melt the lead in an iron pot and dip it out with an iron ladle. I have an old biscuit tin mold that I use to make round lead ingots. Besides round balls of various calibers I also make both bank and pyramid type fishing sinkers.
I have about a 3 pound canoe anchor that I made by melting lead in the bottom of my iron pot, inserting a "U" bolt, and then letting the lead harden again. It forms sort of a mushroom type anchor. It works well for a light canoe or kayak.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of iron bark wood finger molds that I made with iron bark scraps from building a gaff topsail cutter back in 1976. The extremely hard wood does not burn but scorches nicely.

The mold grooves measure 6 inches long x 1/2 inch wide x 1/2 inch deep with round bottom. Makes nice fingers of lead for the bag and can be cut into smaller pieces with a 'hawk for melting in the homemade hammered bag ladle.

For making ingots I have a muffin tin from a child's play stove that used a 100 watt light to bake cookies and such. The tin has six round holes about an inch in dia and about 5/8ths inch deep, makes for a nice small ingot for storage in the cabinet.

Otherwise I use a Coleman single burner stove and a heavy walled steel melting pot about 4 inches in dia x 4 inches deep to melt down enough lead to do a production run of ball.

regards, xfox

The forest is a wilderness only to those that fear it, silent only to those that hear nothing. The forest is a friend to those that dwell within its' nature and it is filled with the sounds of life to those that listen.

Posts: 532 | Location: Bitterroot Valley | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
You built a gaff topsail cutter? Wow! I am impressed.
I am a wooden boat fan. I built a wood strip canoe, but that is all.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post