MUZZLELOADER Magazine    The Campfire: Main Forum List  Hop To Forum Categories  The Campfire Discussion Forums  Hop To Forums  Traditional Crafts    Time to make a Wing bone turkey call !!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time to make a Wing bone turkey call !!
 Login/Join

Greenhorn
Picture of Ohio Rusty
posted
With Thanksgiving all wrapped up, the stores are loaded with turkey goods. If you have an interest in making a wing bone call, turkey wings should be available at the grocers and it is just a matter of getting a small package of them, stripping them of the meat, taking out the marrow, washing the bone and letting it dry. I never cooked mine as I prefer the natural oils remain in the bone and not be cooked out. Bone ...when heated and cooked, have a tendency to get 'bone whiskers' on the outside of the bone due to it being dried out from cooking and heat. It also turns an unnatural gray color. Personally I like the look of the ivory bone color.

Somewhere I have a set of printed directions for making a wing bone turkey call. It isn't hard really. All three bones are hollow and will fit into each other with a little fitting work. The smallest bone to the horn or bell end. The connections can be glued together and wrapped with a piece of rawhide or sinew to hide the joints. Rawhide is easily gotten from using a small rawhide dog chew toy. Soak in warm water until soft, unroll and press flat. If it seems a little thick, you can skive it a bit thinner with your hunting knife. Wrap around the joint while wet, sew the two rawhide ends tightly and let dry. It will shrink tightly around the wing bone joint. Trim when dry.

Ohio Rusty ><>

Posts: 19 | Location: Falls of the Hockhocking, Ohio | Registered: 28 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I've wondered whether to cook the turkey wing, or use raw bone. Now I know. Thanks.

I was in town this morning, poking around the local Dunham's Sporting Goods store. I picked up a new diaphram type turkey call and carried it around the store with me, but I decided that I don't need it yet and so I put it back on the shelf before I left the store.
I have several turkey calls already, but my favorite is a box call that was handmade by an Amish man.

But first, through January and February, I want to do some predator hunting.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Rancocas if you go to "The Horners Bench" then "Tutorials" then type in "Wingbone",there are indepth instructions on this very subject. The site has lots of other thing of interest to anyone interested in Black Powder.

Posts: 1839 | Registered: 11 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
Picture of Ohio Rusty
posted Hide Post
I happened to come across the printed instructions this weekend on making a wingbone call. So if any folks are interested, I can send them a snail mail copy. Just contact me off list.
Thanks .........
Ohio Rusty ><>
Purveyor and Blacksmith
The Ohio Frontier Forge

Posts: 19 | Location: Falls of the Hockhocking, Ohio | Registered: 28 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I know one thing - once you start usin' 'em they'll get in your blood.

Makes me want to go in yonder and practice mine right now . . .

Yelpin'sticks

As long as there's Limb Bacon a man'll eat! (But mebbe not his wife...)

Posts: 4816 | Location: Buffalo River Country | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
I have made a few of these wing bone calls and lately learned to soak them in a pot of tea which turns them a darker colour and will allow for some personal etchings on the surface to your liking.

Posts: 9 | Location: Eastern Ontario, Canada | Registered: 11 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Wishalot go to "The Horners Bench" web site!!There you will find alot about wing bone turkey calls and lots more about powder horns and such.. OOPS posted this once,,old age meet new people and make new friends every day,,Efferdent tablets to whiten them bones!!!!!

Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Walking Crow, would you mind posting a link to this? I've made a couple of these calls, but am always interested in different ways of doing things. Thanks in advance.

It's not the first time, I've protected my hair, in just such a manner.

Posts: 44 | Location: Independence, MO. | Registered: 28 September 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Go to your search engine and type in,,thehornersbench.proboards.com that wil get you to the Home page then go from there.

Hivernant
posted Hide Post
I've had some great success with making wingbone calls. The best advice I can give is to just roll up the sleeves and start to cut.

wishalot

thanks for the tea tip. Should have thought of that myself.

Posts: 140 | Registered: 18 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post