New
Find
Notify
Tools

post vise question
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Gents - Me again. As I develop my blacksmith shop I found the need for a post vise and was able to locate one at a good price - it is on the way to me now. BUT, I have a question. You blacksmiths know the appearance - the long "post" extending down from the outer jaw. WelL, IS THAT SUPPOSED TO BE RETAINED AT THE BOTTOM IN SOME WAY???

Sunk into a dirt floor? Trapped by some sort of weight?

It will not be here for a week, but when it arrives I know I will want to set it up, so I ask this in advance.

Appreciate any tips on this.

Col Boone

Posts: 728 | Location: Volcano, Hawaii | Registered: 22 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Deadeye
posted Hide Post
Since you haven't got it yet try and devert the shipping and send it to me.LOL! I'll let you know if it works out fine or not. I need a forge too if that's possible. Razzer

Posts: 1452 | Location: Good Ole USA of course! | Registered: 15 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Graybeard
posted Hide Post
Boone,

Yes, it extends down and contacts the floor... That way it rests on something solid.... Other than just bolted to a bench.

Posts: 238 | Registered: 08 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
The "post" on my Dad's vice was too short to reach the floor (or the bench was too high) so the difference was made up with a hardwood block for the post to set on. A strap of band iron held the post to the bench leg.

Posts: 18 | Location: Vassalboro, Maine | Registered: 25 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
JR - Thanks, that is what I needed to know. As it has not arrived as yet (about a week hence) I don't yet know how low it will go...in fact, I may have to block up the mount point at the bench top if it is too tall. I have some notions as to how to secure it at the floor and will have to look it over to see which might work best.

Deadeye - I gave that serious thought, for about 5 seconds, and decided to keep it. As for the forge, that too will stay right here! :-) Sorry....

Col Boone

Posts: 728 | Location: Volcano, Hawaii | Registered: 22 September 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
Picture of Dick
posted Hide Post
Colonel,
I had one once that I bolted to a big elm stump out in the yard--just fastened the post to the stump with some strapping. Don't remember if it touched the ground or not. Some say having it "grounded" helps absorb energy if you use the little anvil part and bang on things.

Dick

"Est Deus in Nobis"

Posts: 2902 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
My Grandfather had one of those in his workshop in the old barn. I also remember a hand cranked drill press that was bolted to the wall.
I wanted them but it was in his will that everything be sold at auction. The trouble was a dishonest auctioneer. Those two items never showed up at the auction. Many other things didn't either. I did, however, manage to get Granddad's old portable forge.

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Mine is fixed in a coffee can with concrete. The can sets on the ground. Very solid.

Posts: 1487 | Location: Mountain Home, Arkansas | Registered: 08 October 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Greenhorn
posted Hide Post
Mine is just clamped to the bottom of the post but I've seen them set right in the concrete floor and I think that's what the big ball on the end was meant to do, to hold it in the concrete. I've also seen them cemented in a large bucket as 1776 said. Hank

Posts: 17 | Registered: 21 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
My Dad has one in his basement that was there when he moved in. The vise leg is cemented right into the floor. I've got another post vise in my blacksmith shop. It has the leg resting in a hole in a monster block of oak. I don't know if this is common on post vises, but the my vise leg has a lip of metal about an inch above the bottom of the leg. I bolted a small square of half inch steel plate to the oak block with a hole in it. the lip sits on that steel peice, and it makes a pretty sturdy stand.

"Return unto me, and I will return unto you," saith the Lord of hosts.
~Malachi 3:7b

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Lads -

Got the post vise mounted - the post is about 3"short of the floor, so I made a form of sheet tin and cast a footing with a hunk of iron pipe to receive the post. Works great. Also just got a 140# Trenton anvil that is a real sweetheart...lookin' good in the "hot shop" now!

Col Boone

Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
Sounds Great, Boone! That cast footing sounds like it will definetely hold the vise. And don't make me jelous with your anvil! Big Grin I'd sure like to get my hands on another anvil! (even though I've already got a good hundred pounder I bought from a good friend, and don't really need another.Wink) Sounds like you're gettin' a good set up. Forge ahead! Smiler
~Josh

Posts: 297 | Location: MI | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Josh - "forge ahead" indeed! Already made my first credible "frontier knife" from a file, a bunch of small utilitarian stuff, and have plans for lots more. This thing is definitely addicting!

Col Boone

Booshway
Picture of Josh Crain
posted Hide Post
lol! sure is! Smiler I've been doin' it since the summer of 2010, and have loved every minute (except when I burn up a project. Wink It seems that this happens most often while I'm daydreaming about how great it'll look when I'm finished! Big Grin) This summer I finally found a good spot for my forge shop. We tore down the old, saggy half of our garage and rebuilt it for use as my forge shop. It's really great except that I'm still getting set up, and I've got to wait til we finish siding our garge. It's really hard to get around with a bunch of boxes of siding hoggin' the floor space! Big Grin