New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smiths?
 Login/Join

Booshway
posted
Any 'smiths on this forum? I haven't lit fire in about 15 years but am looking forward to spring as I haven't a proper shop.

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Factor
posted Hide Post
I just reconditioned an antique, portable forge. Smith? No I can heat up iron and steel, and smack the crap out of it, and I can light up a an old file like a sparkler (oops), but I'd be generous to myself if I called myself a Journeyman.

LD

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove

Posts: 3843 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
I don't know if I'd call myself a blacksmith, but I am a retired horseshoer that made some of my horse shoes in certain situations. I worked with several vets that would call me to make special shoes.Some tools also. My dad & grandpa were real blacksmiths in their own shops. My dad built me my a small forge with a smaller anvil & hammers when I was about 12. He let me do the smaller jobs back then. Rivets, sections in mower blades, sharpenin' picks & chisels, things like that were my job.

Posts: 302 | Location: Az. | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the notes. No I am not a journeyman. Self taught. I built my first forge from a smaller oil drum, maybe 35 or 40 gal. Cut it off at the first ring, put the ends togeghter and used an oil tank fill pipe for air supply. Found an old Champion hand crank blower quite a while back ,don't recall the number off hand. My forge I welded up and bought a good fire pot from Cetaur Forge. Has a clinker breaker in it.Wood has always been an iffy thing for me. But I have always been able to get along with a piece of iron. There is something magical about the forge fire, a piece of iron turned into something useful. "By the hammer and hand the arts do stand."

I never have been much for drinking the kool-aid.It's not in my nature.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central Pennsyltucky | Registered: 12 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post