Tools

18th c Watercolor Kits
 Login/Join

Booshway
Picture of Hunts4Deer
posted
I found this page on 18th-19th century watercolor kits:
The Virtual Museum of Watercolor Materials

Includes a link of kits owned by famous people including a photo of a kit George Washington gave to his niece. Very cool stuff.

John
Vive le Roy!

Posts: 513 | Location: Colony of Maryland | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pilgrim
posted Hide Post
Very cool indeed! Lots of pics and all sorts of links here. It's going to take more than one visit to see it all! In addition to all of this, I remembered a very good chapter in The Book of Buckskinning VII titled "Art and Writing on the Frontier" by Cathy Johnson which includes some information on paint boxes and techniques. A very good find. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 69 | Registered: 12 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Yes. Cool site. I've saved the site so that I can view it at my leisure.

I do paintings using acrylics, but I have never had any luck with water colors. I don't understand the medium, so when I do use water colors my paintings don't turn out well. I've even taken a class on water color painting, but it didn't help me much. More study is needed on my part. Confused

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
Yep. Really, really kool. After reviewing the site a little I noted the company "Thomas Reeves & Son". Reeves is one of my ancestor names! hmm. Could there be a connection? Smiler

Know what you believe in. Fight for your beliefs. Never compromise away your rights.

Posts: 1296 | Location: Cherokee Land, Tenasi | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
Picture of Hunts4Deer
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking of starting a new journal of my reenactment adventures with watercolor drawings interspersed showing scenes from various sites, etc. I am very intrigued by the Fraktur style of Ken Scott:
Ken Scott

If you scroll down a little on this page you see his journaling style:
Journals

It just looks like a lot of fun, and since the art style is kind of home-grown and folksy, you don't have to be a Picasso to get started having fun with it. But I'm sure my skills will evolve as I go along.

By the way Rancocas, Reeves was one of the early suppliers of Watercolors in the 18th century. From Wikipedia page on Watercolor Painting:
"Watercolor painters before c.1800 had to make paints themselves using pigments purchased from an apothecary or specialized "colourman"; the earliest commercial paints were small, resinous blocks that had to be wetted and laboriously "rubbed out" in water. William Reeves (1739–1803) set up in business as a colorman about 1766. In 1781 he and his brother, Thomas Reeves, were awarded the Silver Palette of the Society of Arts, for the invention of the moist watercolor paint-cake, a time-saving convenience the introduction of which coincides with the "golden age" of English watercolor painting."

John
Vive le Roy!

Posts: 513 | Location: Colony of Maryland | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Booshway
posted Hide Post
A journal with fraktur would be terrific. A great heirloom to leave to your grandchildren.

Related to fraktur is the Pennsylvania Dutch "hex signs" that are often seen on barns in the northeast. I sometimes paint hex signs on boards and turned wooden plates that can be hung on a wall. (You will never see one on an Amish barn!)
Also, down here in the mid south, in place of the hex signs on the barns, we sometimes see large wooden boards painted in traditional quilt patterns. (The Bible Belt frowns on hex signs.)

Greenhorn
Picture of Ohio Rusty
posted Hide Post
It's interesting to see some of the pages that have been printed with type on this site, the tung oil in the original ink has bled thru to the back side of the paper. Some original printing inks were a mixture of tung oil and lamp black (the fine black soot from he inside of a lamp glass.) Oil based inks soak thru paper to reveal what they were made from.
Thanks for posting the interesting site!
Ohio Rusty ><>
Purveyor and Blacksmith
The Ohio Frontier Forge

Posts: 19 | Location: Falls of the Hockhocking, Ohio | Registered: 28 May 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post